1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shot my first match last night since the early 90s. Had a great time.
Used my out of the box GC national match purchased in the early 80s that my father gave me. Shot in Tyro single stack, got the pin. To be honest there was only two of us. I was pleased with coming in 24th out of 35 shooters. Hopefully I can get the Mrs. to try it. Lots of fun wish I had not waited so long to participate.

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Tyro Single Stack

Sounds like you shot an IPSC style match. The unfortunate thing about IPSC, is there often aren't enough SS shooters at local matches. Many IPSC shooters seem to like Open or Limited guns. If you want to try action shooting with more SS shooters, try IDPA in the CDP divisiion. You will most likely have more competition and more fun. You can go to the IDPA website:
www.idpa.com to find a local club near you. Have fun!

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
With a few 10 round mags from Wilson or CMC, the Gold Cup is right there in Limited-10...

(to the OP...if shooting factory 230 gr ball, I'd ensure you have a fresh 16/18 lb recoil spring, as there is no way to know for sure if it shipped with a 12 lb recoil spring, which is a bit light for full power FMJ ammo)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure what type of match it was. The club, cactus combat, is a USPSA club. There was a mix of paper and steel. It really a practice match that they run.
I used 200 gr. SWC loaded with 5.7gr of 231.
If I read the rules correct, last night, I am limited to 8 round magazines. But I am 100% sure there are more here that know better then I.
I enjoy the challenge of the shooting problems and the pressure of the clock. Thank you for your tips.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Welcome back to USPSA!

If you're shooting Major PF, you're correct that you can only have 8 rnds in the magazine at the start with one in the chamber. Your load sounds like the one I was using back when I used 231 as my powder. It always made major PF in my 5" 1911's.

Single Stack is getting more interest in my area. There are probably 5 or 6 of us that shoot it on a regular basis, and another 4-6 that dabble in it as a change from Prodn or Limited. One of my clubs hosts a practice match and a points match each month, and only the points match has a classifier stage that gets turned in to USPSA. The practice match is used for fun and to test drive new stage designs. Sounds like this is what your club is doing.

When you say you "got the pin", what does that mean?

Cheers!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They gave me a "Tyro" pin for winning the tyro class. This is where they placed the two of us since we had not participated before.
I do have one question. In reading the USPSA rules on single stack I noticed there were rules on the type of holster you can use. The person that shot against me had a full race type holster which if I understand correctly is not legal for Single Stack.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
If you're looking in Appendix D, you would be correct again. Don't know what to tell you about that, other than maybe because it was a practice match the other SS shooter was using his Limited or Open rig for the hell of it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I figure at our level the advantage it provides is so nominal it wasnt even worth mentioning to anyone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts