1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally picked up a Colt Combat Comannder XSE today - now the question is - what pistolsmith is going to best deliver the type of ugrades that I'm considering;
full house trigger job 4lbs (including and replacement parts - sear or disconnector, that have to go.
checker FS 25lpi
new MSH - 20 lpi checkering
replace and install meprolight contrasting NS - green front, orange rear
lightly dehorn the pistols edges - no radical meltdown treatment like my Kimber CDP
throat and polish the barrel, Ed Brown beavertail, new hammer, etc...
....you get the picture!!

I'm considering Tripp, Gemini - though I don't know if Yost would work on a project such as this!

· Administrator
80,947 Posts
Since you're not talking about a full-blown custom job, I recommend a local pistolsmith with a decent reputation. Anytime you can talk to somebody directly, rather than e-mail or phone back and forth you're more likely to get exactly what you want. The turnaround time may also be faster.

· Banned
4,085 Posts
Welcome to the Colt family... you're about to really enjoy Colt 1911's!

If a quick turnaround is needed, I think Tripp may be able to take care of those minor mods quickly. Virgil's work is top flight. If you have more time, you might consider John Harrison of Precision-Gunworks. I think the wait may be longer, but John is a consumate craftsman! There are quite a few very competent 1911 pistolsmiths who could do that work for you. And, as dsk suggests, if you're really fortunate, you may have one of them in your locale!

· Registered
1,237 Posts
First thing I would do, invest in a case of 45 acp ball and go shoot it. You may find some things you want to change and some things you may want to leave as is. One thing that comes to mind, Colt has done a good job on the "dimple" throat job from the factory. I have 3 now with the factory dimple and they will feed anything.

It took me 1 or two range sessions to figure out the downswept grip safety was going out the door.

Congrats on the new gat

· Registered
7,864 Posts
FreeAmerican said:
First thing I would do, invest in a case of 45 acp ball and go shoot it. You may find some things you want to change and some things you may want to leave as is. One thing that comes to mind, Colt has done a good job on the "dimple" throat job from the factory. I have 3 now with the factory dimple and they will feed anything.

It took me 1 or two range sessions to figure out the downswept grip safety was going out the door.

Congrats on the new gat
I agree, fire several hundred rounds before making expensive decisions. Congrats on a fine pistol...

· Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pyunker45 said:
I agree, fire several hundred rounds before making expensive decisions. Congrats on a fine pistol...
...I thought this went without explanation!! I'm religious about the 1000 round break in - break down and clean between range sessions - but I guess it's never bad to hear GREAT advice.

Anyone have some firsthand reports of Colt's shop work?

· Registered
306 Posts
Indirectly.....

From what I have gathered from here and Pistolsmith.com, the Colt "XS" models can out of the custom shop...then were replaced by the XSE off the normal production line. Assuming this is true, I can attest that my XS Lightweight Commander is probably the best 1911 I've owned....and I don't particularly care for lightweight frames! The most accurate and best trigger I've had from a "Factory gun". Fit and finish are excellent. I, too, am considering sending a Colt or two back to Colt's Custom shop for a few upgrades. I don't think you can go wrong with having Colt work your pistol.

· Registered
2,944 Posts
I agree about giving the Colt Custom Shop a shot at it, esp. if they're close by. My problem is that I pass by some of the best 1911/P35 'smiths in the country on my way to Gunsite, so it's easy to just drop 'em off one year and pick 'em up the next...

Call up Colt and have them ship you their catalogues and price lists for the regular product line and the Custom Shop.

Regards,
Andy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.