1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Al Mar Nomad...1st production run 00X of 200...is there any added worth to a 1st production run knife. I mean it seems kinda obvious that there should be some added value to a 1st production run but this isn't always the case.
I really like this knife and had planned to use it for an EDC but then I see the low production number of a 1st run knife and think...whoa! should I just wear it and forget it or what???
Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Hi Silversport,

It's all up to you. Some first production knives will increase in value but most don't. That and if you think about selling you'd have to find someone to by it at the price you'd like to sell it at as well.

If you can maybe you might want to buy a current production Nomad and EDC that one and keep that as a safe queen.

Pretty much, I myself, only will keep custom knives safe queens. I have and EDC a first production run '98 Emerson Commander and their secondary market value fetches a pretty good amount, even used. But I bought it to carry and that's what it'll be used for.

If you do carry it the first time you nick it or cut something and mar the finish will be the one that eats at you. But after that initial mark then you'll get over it and it'll be used for what it was meant to. That and it'll add character too:)

Ross T.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I would carry it if I liked it. a knife is only going to be worth what someone will pay for it. now if it was a 1 of a kind custom, that is different, but knowing that there is 499 more out there i'd go ahead and carry it.
then again, i'm crazy.

cheers,
Derek

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies...I think I will hold on to it a bit as I have a nice Emerson CQC7 mini for my EDC...But I don't think I'll safe queen the Al Mar...
Bill

·
Registered
59 Posts
key word is "production"

Buy production knives for daily use. That goes for the "designer" production knives, like the Vallotton design Lone Wolf and the Terzuola design Microtech. If you want a knife that will go up in value, buy one from a custom designer.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
but that's my whole point...I don't want a knife to put away to sell later! I happened upon a good deal for a knife I wanted...it just happenend to be a very low (within the first ten) of a first run of 200.
I just don't want to be stupid and EDC a knife that might have value down the road because of the first production run status.
I did not pay any more for this knife than I would have without the 1st production run status...it just is...therefore should I lock it away because someone is gonna want it later or just forget the status cuz it really isn't that important anyway and EDC???
Bill

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would just carry it. I carry a first production run Vallotton designed Lone Wolf. Low number or not, it's still a production knife, and not likely to be of any particular value down the road.

But then, the '57 'bird was just a production Ford...

·
Registered
23 Posts
First Production Run, Could it be just.....

a gimmick from the marketing crew? I only pose the ???
because I think that it is.

Ed

·
Registered
30 Posts
It is a production knife, not a collectors item. Unless you seriously collect Almar knives. Microtech, Protech and the others also put out first production runs. I learned to wait for the latter production run as it cost less and is the same knife. Go use it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
There is collectability even within the "production" world. Al Mar knives are one example of this. Check out some of the prices on Ebay. Even without collectability, there's no such thing as a deeply discounted Al Mar knife.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts