1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have two SIGs and a Glock with rails and only one light to mount, but I still want one of those very badly. Nice score!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have two SIGs and a Glock with rails and only one light to mount, but I still want one of those very badly. Nice score!
Thanks, was really happy to acquire it for a 'reasonable' price as a pre-owned pistol.

Just went through the top end. Cleaned, polished and lubed. Excellent fitment everywhere. Will get into the lower parts later. Nice to get one that's already somewhat 'broke in'. Hopefully, will get to the range this weekend.

·
Premium Member
7,711 Posts
Thanks, was really happy to acquire it for a 'reasonable' price as a pre-owned pistol.

Just went through the top end. Cleaned, polished and lubed. Excellent fitment everywhere. Will get into the lower parts later. Nice to get one that's already somewhat 'broke in'. Hopefully, will get to the range this weekend.
Never heard anyone say that their RG needed "broke in" mine didn't. I think you will really like it

·
Registered
711 Posts
Never heard anyone say that their RG needed "broke in" mine didn't. I think you will really like it
Me neither until I bought mine. I crossed some sort of threshold at 1100 rounds. I was having a lot of FTFeed with many different magazines (WC CMC Colt CM) and all JHP (Hornady) but it seems fine now. I ran 890 rounds through it 2 weeks ago and maybe only one or two FTFeed with JHPs. I have the all black cerakote RG. Great gun and even better now past the "threshold".

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
My dad's cerakote model was so tight that it ran sluggish for the first 150 rounds. We could hardly get the slide stop back into it when it was brand new and unfired. After 500 rounds it breaks down easy and runs like a champ. Cerakote needs a little break in time.

·
Registered
226 Posts

What did you get it for if you don't mind telling? I've been thinking about trading for a used one as well that my LGS has. It looks about the same condition as your score. I'm a little nervous about the barrel throat and chamber on the one I'm looking at though, it has a very high polish and looks to be possibly attacked by "Dremel Dan". The inside of the chamber has a a polished edge to it as well at the beginning of the chamber where it meets the throat, and I do mean edge... It has a little wiggle room in the slide to frame fit, but does not rattle. I'm not bothered by the fit. He's asking $999 for it?

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
OP,"1st" RG? So, you're leaving room for a 2nd?

I'm ignorant about what makes the Colt Rail Gun more interesting than say a XSE Government model.

They are harder fit? Shoot better?

Shouldn't the barrel throat have the little dimple area like XSE models?

They have what looks like a blued model at my local shop. Will check it out more closely soon. Price etc.

PM me if you want to know where it is. It's been there for about 3 weeks now and I'm rifle shopping.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What did you get it for if you don't mind telling? I've been thinking about trading for a used one as well that my LGS has. It looks about the same condition as your score. I'm a little nervous about the barrel throat and chamber on the one I'm looking at though, it has a very high polish and looks to be possibly attacked by "Dremel Dan". The inside of the chamber has a a polished edge to it as well at the beginning of the chamber where it meets the throat, and I do mean edge... It has a little wiggle room in the slide to frame fit, but does not rattle. I'm not bothered by the fit. He's asking $999 for it?
$999? If it has ALL the original pieces including mags, grips and any other trinkets. Otherwise, offer him $900 and be ready to put your money down as soon as he starts to waffle of says yes.

I too thought it should have been a tighter slide to frame fit, have older Springfields that are tighter. But it's on par with all the other Colt's in the safe. Just a guess, but it's a gun that was made to run hard. Unless you're using super dirty ammo, it should run like a sewing machine with the a little lube. There's nothing on the rails or frame that says abuse or even heavy usage. Really, the only noticeable or significant wear is atop the front sight and along the edge at the slide front. Insignificant.

If the barrel breech was bigger, you could use it for a shaving mirror! It's polished and shaped as expected. Swabbed off the frame ramp and it's smooth with a polished edge.

Aside from the grips, which are not a problem except they aren't original to the pistol, is a smooth mainspring housing instead of the checkered. Again, not a problem. It appears to be Colt. Beautiful fit to the frame and finish!

For $300 bucks you could buy ten mags and a few hundred rounds of ammo.
Much better than a checkered mainspring housing and a set of grips IMO.

Not a collectors pistol. This will get range time and that's the real enjoyment of a Colt 1911.

And, hell ya for another RG! There's another "acquisition" in the pipeline that's going to take a chunk out of the wallet but always a place for another Colt.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OP,"1st" RG? So, you're leaving room for a 2nd?

I'm ignorant about what makes the Colt Rail Gun more interesting than say a XSE Government model.

They are harder fit? Shoot better?

Shouldn't the barrel throat have the little dimple area like XSE models?

They have what looks like a blued model at my local shop. Will check it out more closely soon. Price etc.

PM me if you want to know where it is. It's been there for about 3 weeks now and I'm rifle shopping.
The XSE has a great selection of finishes! Dang. The differences would be the the finish and the full length guide rod in the XSE. At this point, the RG is stainless steel receiver & slide; either cerakote of brushed with a standard GI guide rod. I think the 'premium' is the NM barrel and fitted bushing and any other fitted work.

The RG has built a very solid reputation for accuracy and reliability, especially under hard use. Would an XSE be any less accurate or reliable? Doubt that.

My original desire for a rail started and stopped with the Colt Marine CQB. Few and far between and wholly unwilling to pay the mark up prices. My rail desire is fulfilled. For $2K plus change, it's going to be a Special Combat Government straight from the Custom Shop. Now that's one beautiful, functional piece of pistol work!!!

·
Registered
226 Posts
$999? If it has ALL the original pieces including mags, grips and any other trinkets. Otherwise, offer him $900 and be ready to put your money down as soon as he starts to waffle of says yes.

I too thought it should have been a tighter slide to frame fit, have older Springfields that are tighter. But it's on par with all the other Colt's in the safe. Just a guess, but it's a gun that was made to run hard. Unless you're using super dirty ammo, it should run like a sewing machine with the a little lube. There's nothing on the rails or frame that says abuse or even heavy usage. Really, the only noticeable or significant wear is atop the front sight and along the edge at the slide front. Insignificant.

If the barrel breech was bigger, you could use it for a shaving mirror! It's polished and shaped as expected. Swabbed off the frame ramp and it's smooth with a polished edge.

Aside from the grips, which are not a problem except they aren't original to the pistol, is a smooth mainspring housing instead of the checkered. Again, not a problem. It appears to be Colt. Beautiful fit to the frame and finish!

For $300 bucks you could buy ten mags and a few hundred rounds of ammo.
Much better than a checkered mainspring housing and a set of grips IMO.

Not a collectors pistol. This will get range time and that's the real enjoyment of a Colt 1911.

And, hell ya for another RG! There's another "acquisition" in the pipeline that's going to take a chunk out of the wallet but always a place for another Colt.
Thanks Kevyn, this one I'm looking at sounds about like twins to yours, lol. I just can't stop going back to look at it, it's not hard to do considering this LGS is less than a half a block from my shop. I think I'm going to have to take it home!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
New grips and a thorough clean, polish & lube. Extremely consistent and clean receiver & parts. The MIM parts polished to a high sheen and were free from any burrs or grind marks.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks great! Did you shoot it yet?
No, dang it all anyway. But I will say that the extra weight of that rail piece makes it balance very much like a Commander model.

May not get to the range for a couple weeks ...too much work due and too little time to get it all done. Christmas week looks real promising though!

The idea of 'soundproofing' a lane in the basement has merit.

·
Registered
226 Posts
No, dang it all anyway. But I will say that the extra weight of that rail piece makes it balance very much like a Commander model.

May not get to the range for a couple weeks ...too much work due and too little time to get it all done. Christmas week looks real promising though!

The idea of 'soundproofing' a lane in the basement has merit.
Ahhh yes, work, that for letter word that gets in the way of shooting. Nice to have work that can afford a nice Colt purchase here and there.
I am fortunate enough to be able to shoot right on my property, I never have time enough for more than a few mags at a time.
Even though I am a big fan of a more traditional look as well, I am liking these railed guns more and more. The balancing aspect is another nice aspect of them, and they just give options if desired.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts