1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Awhile back I got a new CZ 75B and last night was the first chance I've had to take it to the range. Prior to the trip to the range I disassembled it and checked the barrel for any obstructions and lightly oiled the rails. Before I continue I should state that according to the test "target" included with the gun it is a late 1996 product gun. So it's been around awhile.

Ammo used was some American Eagle & some Megtech. After the first mag I was in love with this gun. All ten shots in the black at 35 feet. Let me just say that with the exception of a Ruger 22/45 every other auto I shot I'm low and left. Whether it be a 22, 9 mm or a 45. This includes Smiths, Glock, & a 1911. With the CZ I'm able to keep them all in the black or relatively close to my aiming point. The first 50 rounds went off w/o a hitch. After that I switched to the Megtech and that's where I ran into a few FTF's. I did notice that to my eye the bullet profile of the Megtech is rather long & pointed compared to the American Eagle. Forgive me but I do not know the bullet weights. When I was done with the Megtech I finished off the American Eagle. Again I experienced a few FTF's. By this time I noticed the chamber and feed ramp were really dirty.

I'm no expert but if I were to guess I'd bet that the gun had some packing grease on it which helped accumulate some dirt more quickly and I may have been limp wristing a little towards the end. Overall I'm really impressed with this piece. I'm going to give it a thorough cleaning and try some different ammo to see if I continue having FTF problems. If this gun keeps performing well and I keep hitting well with it I may seriously consider getting ride of my Glocks and picking up a CZ compact. Now I'm more determined than ever to get my reloader set back up & start cranking out 9mm's to feed this baby.

I'll keep you posted on it's progress.

Regards,
O2B

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Thanks for the report. I agree these are great pistols and I will make a confession. What? I own a CZ75 and a CZ75B and I, for one, don't see a dimes worth of difference in their quality. I am sure the low left pattern is due finger placement in single action. Make sure the pad of your index finger is centered on the trigger and squeeze. When you shoot double action pull the trigger through with one motion, don't stage it. Practice will help a lot. Best and regards, Richard:D

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update - I took the CZ 75B back out to the range again on Sunday. Before going I field stripped it and cleaned the barrel and feed ramp. I noticed after I cleaned off the feed ramp there is a slight blemish in the middle of the feed ramp. Maybe half a milimeter wide and 2 or 3 mm's long.

At the range after about 65 rounds being fired I started to experience FTF's again. I think what is happening is that when ramp is clean bullets are sliding up the ramp and into the chamber w/o any problems but as the feed ramp gets dirty and dirt builds in the blemish the long pointy profile of the 115 grn bullets the bullet nose is catching in the dirty blemish & causing FTF's.

I'm going to contact CZ and see what happens. I'll keep you posted.

Richard - I forgot to mention that I have medium to small size hands and this is part of the problem w/ my accuracy w/ autos. The trigger reach on many compounded with the double column magazines I can not get proper trigger placement which causes me to pull/push my shots. I think if I find something that fits my hands better and on a 1911 install a flat mainspring, a short trigger w/ possibly thin grips that will help there.

Regards,
O2B

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
O2BShooting, see if you can find/try a CZ75 PCR. The grip in my hand feels a lot like a Browning High-Power grip. It may well be an easier pistol for you to shoot. Here is a picture of my CZ75B with Kadet 22 LR unit and my PCR both have Hakan grips. Regards, Richard:D

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Richard - Those sure are sharp looking! I'll definetly look into the CZ 75 PCR. Today I sold both my Glocks so I'll have a little to put back torwards a future purchase. :)

Have a good one.
O2B

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think Richard is right on about finger movement during trigger pull. I too own a 75B and various other autos. For the longest time I shot about an inch low and an inch left @ 25 feet, all within a hell of a tight grouping. A buddy of mine in the FBI took me to the range and showed me the techniques he had learned at Quantico. He emphisised the importance of a consistant pull with the pad of the finger tip in a straight line down the axis of the gun. He showed me how a small "wiggle" just before the break caused the pattern. His instructor stated that this is a common problem. After alot of practice I've straightened myself out. Same great group, almost on center, now. I almost forgot, he gave me a dummy practice round for dry firing. It really helped. Good luck.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Culpable - Well I sold my Glocks over this past weekend so the only thing I have left is an old Auto Orndance .45 but the next time I'm out w/ it I'll try harder to make sure that I'm doing as people have suggested.

Just out of curiosity what part of Ohio you in?

O2B

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bad Experiece w/ the CZ 75B

On Friday afternoon I had a few hours off from work so I loaded up the range bag and headed to the range. Several weeks prior I had gone shooting w/ my brother-in-law and some other family members. To help out they purchased 9mm Wolf ammo elseware and brought it along. The range we were at would not allow the Wolf to be used so I had about 350 rounds w/ me when I went to the a differnt range Friday afternoon that allows Wolf.

I've had several problems w/ the 75B before w/ FTF's. I've replaced the recoil spring w/ a Wolfe 18lb and with the factory 10 round mag it runs pretty good. I've still had problems with the factory 15 round mag. Well I figured out that the problems w/ the 15 rounder are more than likely a weak mag spring. In an effort to help burn up the wolf I'd load five rounds in the 15 rounder and fire them off and then swith to the 10 rounder; just trying to get through the Wolf in one trip.

After about 200 rounds I was having some failures to return into battery. By this point the pistol was very dirty. I really haven't cleaned it since I got it other than cleaning the feed ramp off once or twice prior to this range trip. Well I loaded 5 rounds in the 15 rounder and put the mag in the gun and started the 5 round string. After one or two rounds I get a failure to return into battery. But this time the round is jamed in such a way that the gun is locked up solid. No matter what I do I can't get the slide freed up or the round to extract.

It gets to the point I've got to get a guy from the range to come and look at it. He has to take it in the back put it in a vise and beat the slide back w/ a rubber mallet to get it to free up. After that I used the 10 rounder to fire a few more rounds and the gun performed okay.

Lessons learned for me:
1) NEVER USE WOLF AMMO
2) Perform better maintanence on my guns. I should never allowed it to get that dirty.
3) If having problems w/ a particular piece of equipment (ie the mag) after the problem has been diagnosed stop using it until it can be repaired or replace.

Know I know I'm going to get some bad flack for this and I do deserve it. Sorry for the long post.

Regards,
O2B

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have 2 CZ75B's: one in 9mm and one in .40S&W, both nickel. I've had both for several years. Only the 9mm has jammed, but only one time: a stovepipe when it was brand-new. The .40 has never jammed. I use exclusively reloads (my own) in all my guns. I am particularly careful with this, as I've seen too many problems with shooters who don't know what they're doing with reloads.

I always have a cleaning jag and a clean patch handy while shooting at my range. About every 30-40 rounds, I swab out the barrel, and make sure I clean the feed ramp, too. Even though it's not spotless, a little light swabbing is better than just letting the gun get filthy.

I use Militec grease on the rails. This is good stuff. But I don't add any extra lube or grease while shooting; this is not necessary. Just swab out bbl. w/ clean patch every so often.

I have never replaced any springs on either CZ75B. I see that shooters buying new CZs (not to mention 1911's) often run right out and buy new recoil springs, even new mag springs. I have never done this. No need. These guns work as they are if you take proper care of them and shoot quality ammo.

Just one thing: when you get the CZ home to give it a thorough cleaning, get some canned air and blow the crap out of the extractor assembly, as well as the firing pin hole and breechface areas. Don't put any lube or grease down in the firing pin hole or extractor; just blow it out real good after scrubbing with Hoppe's, or whatever solvent you prefer, and drying with clean patch/rag/cloth.

Both my CZ's are great guns. They are accurate and reliable. And what a value, at $400 NIB for each one.

Gluck Haben,

Dr. Lecter

·
Registered
107 Posts
Tally one more vote for the fantastic CZ 75B/D ...

I don't keep records on each pistol exactly, so I am not sure how many rounds have been through my CZ 75BD in the past year and a half. It is probably in the neighborhood of 6000-7500 rounds. I take it to the range every single time I go, and I usually shoot 300-600 rounds a trip. I sometimes do not clean it if range practice and a match are close together, and I've gone 800+ rnds without cleaning before. All that said, the pistol is 100% reliable, after some easy and cheap replacements were made. I shoot it in a monthly IPSC match in Production class, and it is as good or better than anything I see shooting Production, IMHO.

Springs. The ones that come from the factory are weak, in my experience. I replaced the recoil spring with a Wolff 16lbs version. The factory one is suppossed to be 14lbs, but I doubt it is. With the new recoil spring, I started to get some FTF's, which I later found (thanks to the CZ Forum) was due to weak mag springs. I changed those with the Wolff +10% version, and it is now totally reliable. It's just gravy that the darn thing is more accurate than I am, fits my hand so well and handles high pressure reloads with ease.

I've tried several types of lubrication with my CZ, and it favors more lube than perhaps a Glock; I don't run it nearly dry. In the end, I've chosen Brian Enos Slide Glide for all my pistols. I primarily use it on the rails and recoil assembly, and it works great. Recoil is sofened ever so slightly, and the slide action feels fantastic with it (dare I say like a smooth, snickety 1911?).

Enjoy your CZ, it is a fantastic pistol! I am baffled why they are not more popular given their price--one of the best 9mm's out there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Slide Glide (from www.brianenos.com) and buying CZ factory mags (www.cheaperthandirt.com) solved my reliability problems with my CZ-75B. The CZ would be perfect if only the mags would drop free like on a 1911. I know you can tinker to fix the problem partially, but I don't understand why CZ didn't fix this problem themselves a long time ago.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Some CZ gurus say that the company felt that mags that drop free, and can potentially get lost during a fight, are not appropriate in military and law enforcement situations. Maybe this is a European thing. Go figure. You can straighten the mag break yourself or, if you want to keep the factory part around, replace it with a mag break for the CZ-85, which allows free-fall. See the CZ Web site.

BC

1 - 12 of 12 Posts