1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked myself up a Citadel full size 1911 9mm for Father's Day. Finally got to the range Friday afternoon. I had already picked up another Metalform mag for it. I put 100 rounds through it, loading and emptying each magazine 4 times. On the last 2 cycles, one mag would not lock the slide open after the last shot. It did it twice and it was one of the factory mags (also Metalform), not the aftermarket one.

Should I contact RIA now or run some more through it to see if it continues?

BTW, the gun was fabulous! I was shooting at one of those bouncing round orange ball-thing targets--starting at about 15-20 feet and by the time I got to the 8th shot it was probably 80 feet away.....and I could still hit it even though I could barely see it sticking up out of the grass! The trigger is sharp, easy, the recoil is light, the grip is good.......I want another! Both my sons need one!

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
I would put that mag to the side the one that didn't lock back and continue to shoot it see if it happens with the other mags.. If it doesn't then it's just that one mag replace it and enjoy...

·
Registered
765 Posts
Not that I recommend this for all. But for me the occasional bad mag. It can usually be diagnosed.
Make sure the guns empty. Put in the questionable mag and pull the slide back.
If it doesn't lock back. You can usually see why.
If its the follower in the mag a judicious bend with a pair of needle nose might take care of it.
If its the slide release and a new gun.
A swipe of a file here or there might do it.
If its something your not comfortable doing. A new mag or sending the gun back is in order. I just use for the most part OEM mags from RIA. Get them from https://us.advancedtactical.com/ You cant go wrong from them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had (have) the same issue with the original Metalform mag that came with my 9mm. I contacted Armscor and they swapped me for a new one. This one occasionally will not lock back and fall out but less so than the original. I have to pull it out. I purchased 2 other Metalform mags and they work perfectly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts