1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is putting a 2.5 pound trigger pull on a 1911 that is a Target gun ONLY and never carried too light? I am also changing over to a match sear and hammer.

Can I go lighter????

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
My comp 1911 has a 2.5# trigger. Most of my comp guns are in the 2.5 - 3# range.

Depending on the way the parts are set up, it is possible to get a 1911 trigger down to 1.5#. IMHO, as you go below 3#, the skill required to make the trigger operate safely increases exponentially. The sear and hammer would have to be fitted by a good gunsmith.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Depends on what you are comfortable with..I have seen them as low as 1.5 pounds..

they may take a little more maintenance and may not last as long..but they sure are nice..I have some match guns that are set at 2 pounds..one I have had for just over a year now with no problems..the other I had just built a few months ago..

·
Registered
378 Posts
My Gold Match had a 2lbs trigger out of the box (well, after a couple hundred rounds). Have nearly 10k through it and have never had an issue with hammer follow, doubletaps, etc.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
spetrola,
To answer your question yes the 1911 trigger system can be set lighter than 2.5 pounds. As a matter of fact most raceguns I build the customer wants the trigger set at 1.5 pounds and they can be set lighter than this but one should be very careful when doing so. If you don't have a lot of experience with the 1911 trigger I recommend you do not try and go lighter than 1.5 pounds and I would advise you try and work with a smith thats done several light triggers. Also be sure and use good quality parts as they will last longer and give you less problems. If you do go with a light trigger pull you may have to edcuate your trigger finger again. Sometimes trigger pulls can fool people, I done one on a Para LDA the other day and it feels like a two pound pull but will hold all my trigger weights(4.5 pounds)and still not break.
Regards
Bob Hunter
(816) 675-2340
www.huntercustoms.com

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry all I forgot to add that the gun is a springfield 1911 in 9mm and will be sent back to them for the trigger installation.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
spetrola said:
Sorry all I forgot to add that the gun is a springfield 1911 in 9mm and will be sent back to them for the trigger installation.
No way they are going to set up a gun with a 2.5# trigger because of liability issues.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I talked with them already they said that 2.5 was no problem but that I would have to sign a waiver releasing them from liability.

Scoott

1 - 8 of 8 Posts