1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys, these guns are NICE. I just picked up 2 of these today, and I'm having a real hard time finding any fault with them mechanically or cosmetically.

My dealer got 3 in today, and I picked the best 2. The ONLY problem I found with the 3rd is that it had a short hammer pin, which are usually reserved for loaded models with ambi safeties....no problem at all and easily replaced.

Other than that, all seemed identical. That should tell you how hard a time I had choosing. All had the brown grips with more traditional rounded front strap and NO loaded chamber indicators. One of mine has a perfect trigger pull with a nice rolling let-off and no creep. The other trigger has a slight hitch in the travel but is still light and fairly smooth. One slide has no discernable play, and the other as a *very* little play. All slides were centered nicely in the dust covers. You cannot even see daylight between the dust covers and slides when you hold the pistols up to a light. I know it's often desirable to have a little space between, but these slides fit very well.

The hammer and strut and extractor appear to be machined from solid steel, but I've been wrong before. The strut has the traditional "rounded" leg towards the bottom....nice touch. The slide stop appears to be forged and machined. The sear, disconnector, grip safety, thumb safety, mag catch, and mainspring housing are cast. I have not fully disassembled the pistols, so I can't tell about the trigger. I can't find any MIM parts.

The barrel bushings are machined and fit very well with no back-to-front play, and they mate up perfectly with the recoil spring plug.

The grips are cheap plastic, and I already replaced them on one pistol with a set I got off ebay which are supposedly 60's vintage GI, though I have no way of telling. They are shaped just like earlier Keyes grips, but they are made of better plastic......much like the Zytel that many makers such as Beretta and Ruger use. I like them very much.

When removing the grips to replace them, I noticed one of the grip screws was slightly stripped, but it went back in fine and snugged up. The screws on the other pistol were fine.

The thumb safeties are quite stiff....not from rubbing anything internally but from the unsually stiff plunger springs. Maybe they just need some breaking-in.

The finish is a nice THICK and dark parkerize.....very matte.

What else is there to say? I haven't shot them yet, but expectations are high. The only part aside from grips that I intend to replace are the mainspring housings...I just can't take the ILS. At $366 a pop, you can't beat these with a beatin' machine.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Congratulations...2 WW2"s ... WOW! Make sure you let us know how they shoot! Did you get consecutive serial #'s?

·
Registered
427 Posts
The thumb safety will loosen up with use.

Don't worry about it.

I love mine.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I can't find any MIM parts.
How can you tell if a part is MIM? I hear this term often and know what it means, but havent a clue how to tell the difference.

Congrats on the pistols!

Bryan

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All the MIM parts I've seen have one spot on them where it looks like the steel was poured into the mold, whereas cast parts usually have a line running down the center from the halves of the cast. Naturally, this line can be machined or finished away, so it can be hard to tell sometimes.

P.S. The serial numbers on my guns were about 200 apart.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I intend to replace are the mainspring housings...I just can't take the ILS.
You don't have to replace the mainspring housing. The only parts needed to replace the ILS are:

1 mainspring cap
2 mainspring cap pin
3 mainspring

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My dealer was having a "sale" on them, which is odd since he can't keep them in inventory long enough to put one on the shelf.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sure thing. As for price, I think $379 is a pretty fair standard price for these, unless Springfield ups the cost.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Well, then the MSRP is a good price! I'd almost expect to pay more for a WWII replica (seeing as how they'd have to change a few things from the normal Mil-Spec), but it's actually less! :) Sounds good to me.

Andy

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The WWII mil-spec takes fewer machining operations, and the packaging costs less. Couple that with cheap South American labor, and there ya go. I'd pay much more for these for what you get compared to a Colt....they are what they are.......for now. It costs what a simple 1911 should cost with no pretentious extras.

I don't know why they have to stamp "Imbel Brazil" under the dust covers, but it bodes well for the pride that Imbel takes in their craftsmanship. Imbel FAL receivers were highly sought after until DSA came along. On a pistol this cheap, it doesn't bother me at all....give me top quality components with no MIMs, and I'm a happy camper at under $500.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I was under the impression that, like with the normal Mil-Spec, the WWII Mil-Specs have some MIM small parts. Either way, I think it's a great deal, for a good shooting, nostalgic pistol. :)

Andy

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Ether,

Are these 1911s both marked something to the effect of "made in Brazil" on the frame under the grips?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If these pistols have any MIM parts, I wish someone would specify which ones. I can't find anything that looks MIM.

They are engraved "IMBEL BRAZIL" directly under the dust cover....it's fairly inconspicuous. They also say something about "BRAZIL" under the right grip panel.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Any of you guys moaning and groaning own some of the older Brownings, or Berettas or Sigs?

Guess what? Shhhh..it's a secret, but those old ones, the ones every likes a little better than the current makes, were all made *gasp* outside of the US.

Shhh..don't tell anyone. It's our secret.:p

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have no idea what kind of company Imbel is. I know they are highly regarded in the foundry industry for their excellent steel. Their FAL receivers were highly sought after until DSA came along. I think they are a Brazillian gov't. contractor if nothing else, but that is only a guess.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Thanks ether. I just checked out their website. Seems they're like IMI is to Israel, a large gov't run armaments and explosives manufacturing firm. Looks good. I could use a second 1911. Sounds like an SA might be a better deal than Colt for my second time around. ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts