1911Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased a loaded 1911 with very little usage. Does the 2 piece guide rod normally need tightening after every mag change or am I missing something. It appears a locking washer between the two parts would solve the problem if it were the right deminsion, but won't do it without some expert advice. Am knew to the 1911 but need some thoughts.

·
Registered
163 Posts
i use green loctite on mine and it's never come loose. still allows for disassembly. don't use red loctite or you have to heat it up pretty good to get it loose

·
Registered
647 Posts
Tough call. I don't use anything on mine and I have had no problems, but I am still contemplating swapping it out for the GI-style rod for ease in stripping it down. Some people have had them go flying. Others, like me, haven't. I don't know that I would add parts or anything until you are certain it is problematic with your gun.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I've also seen many people just pop a wrap of teflon tape on the threads to solve a self loosening two piece rod.

later,
AJ

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I don't want to turn this into a guide rod debate, but I have had some similar experiences with two-piece rods. Besides, you need an allen wrench for disassembly. I prefer a good one piece full length rod, or better yet, a short rod and plug (like the GI system). That way you don't have to worry about it.

If you want to keep the 2-piece rod, I like the green loctite or teflon tape ideas.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Dump the two piece for either a standard USGI short guide and plug or at worst, a one piece. A two piece guide rod is just one more thing that may go wrong that effectively provides nothing more than complex takedown and a little extra weight. I've never noticed a difference in accuracy, but I've noticed a huge difference in takedown headache. Maybe I lost 1/100th of an inch at 25 yds. However, I don't carry a machine rest with me for self defense nor can I shoot good enough (nor can 99% of the rest of us) to realize any advantage. Also, dump the hex head grip screws for stainless slotted screws.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Maybe I lost 1/100th of an inch at 25 yds
Or perhaps you *gained* some with the GI rod. I have yet to see any conclusive evidence that an FLGR is of any value whatever, unless constructed of a dense materials such as Tungsten for added mass. Even then, it would only assist with follow up shots not raw accuracy. The steel FLGR in SA's models adds about an ounce.

The FLGR is especially inappropriate in pistols carried for defense as they virtually prevent the ability to perform most emergency one handed reloading drills.

Fighting pistols such as the Springfield Professionals, Gunsite GSP's and Colt Gunsite Pistols, Baer TR Specials, and the Kimber LAPD models omit this gamer component.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Probably not an issue at all, but I also notice a "rubbing" sound when the guide rod is in -- when I remove it and rack the slide, the cycling sounds are normal. Most likely it's just the spring rubbing along the length of the rod, but I don't like it.

-Dave

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm with you anti-FLGR chaps for the reasons stated. While I'm whining, what's the deal with hex head grip screws? I mean, if they were meant to be torqued in like scope rings I could see some benefit. Otherwise, it's one more tool I have to keep track of that has but a SINGLE purpose, in addition to my multiplier and knife on my keychain that I have anyway, that both have a screwdriver head. Believe it or not, I occasionally remove grips for cleaning and inspect. That's what the non pointy end of the USGI combo tool is fer, I reckon. Now, don't get me wrong, they don't hurt and they look cool to some. Note further that my KISS mania extends to my home, where I work toward universal standard issue light bulbs in every light in the house (as opposed to various candle flame shaped, odd round, etc. etc. bulbs) and standard AA batteries (hence an Eotech 552).

·
Registered
778 Posts
Try...

Degreasing the threads (Brake Cleaner works good, only have to do it occasionally if I'm careful)... I used to get oil on mine in the course of cleaning, and it would work it's way loose. Also, the Loctite or Teflon Tape ideas would work too. You could also swap 'em out for the GI Plug or a full length unit. I personally like the way it "tightens" up the gun when I cycle it, but I doubt it affects reliability or accuracy one way or the other. I bought an SA Mil-Spec (the one with the two-piece is my Loaded) with the GI setup, shot fine, put a wilson full-length piece in, made it feel tighter, but didn't change the accuracy any.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Again thanks for the info. Will try the teflon wrap to see how it works, the worst case is to go to the GI stype guide rod. When I bought the 1911, I noticed that most had the hex head on the guide rod but this one had a normal screw head. As this gun had exception appearance and paper work, I assumed it was an earlier manufacturer date. Serial # in the N39**** series. Haven't heard from SA on the date of manufacture. Really like the feel of the grip and the recoil. Just needs to be fine tuned.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Lose the FLGR. Put it in your parts tackle box or trade it for a magazine. I love my SA loaded / parkerized / Novak night sight. Good shooting.

·
Registered
189 Posts
While we're on "lose the FLGR," can someone give me specific part numbers and website for a GI setup. It will be for my SA Loaded SS 1911 9mm. I'm trying to eliminate the 2 piece FLGR, but when I went to a few sites (Wilson etc), I got a bit confused on which parts to order. Do I only need a cap for the spring? Will I also need a new bushing? Blah blah.

Thanks all!

Travis

1 - 15 of 15 Posts