1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Loading some 45acp 200 gr. RNFP .452 (Missouri Bullet) What seating depth?

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Loading some 45acp 200 gr. RNFP .452 (Missouri Bullet) What seating depth?
What COL does "any" of your manuals list for a 200gr RNFP ?

Try something like ~ 1.230" to 1.250"

If it cycles.....your Golden

:)

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
RNFP bullets are the light version of the 250 gr cowboy bullets. 200gr or 250gr rnfp......seat them at or just below the wax ring/crimp groove.

Mine have all chambered and functioned great at 1.175 to 1.195 oal.

Load recipe's don't change even though the oal is shorter than a lswc (H & G style).

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Do yourself a big favor

If you decide to load these up and seat below around ~ 1.200” COL
Make sure you test cycle a few of these or some “dummy” cartridges made up before loading up some long run at the short COL

Not all guns will cycle the 45ACP cartridges “reliably” when loaded short, regardless of bullet style

Good Luck :)

·
Registered
360 Posts
RNFP bullets are the light version of the 250 gr cowboy bullets. 200gr or 250gr rnfp......seat them at or just below the wax ring/crimp groove.

Mine have all chambered and functioned great at 1.175 to 1.195 oal.

Load recipe's don't change even though the oal is shorter than a lswc (H & G style).
I agree with this I have I have loaded this same bullet. I had to seat at 1.19 to get proper function in my 1911s

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
That is all I shoot in my 45 ACP's. As mentioned, about the middle of the crimp groove, which comes out to about 1.195.
I have five different 45's ranging from a CCO to a Rail Gun. They work excellently in all ten of my seven and eight round mags from three different makers and six six round mags for the CCO.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Just looked at your bullet at Missouri bullets site
Now it makes sense to me why everyone is using a shorter COL
(My bad as I should have checked the site earlier)

Missouri is selling you a 45 Colt bullet with a crimping groove to use in your 45ACP
(True 45ACP bullets have no crimping groove or cannelure)
Nothing initially wrong here but when seating bullets try and seat so case mouth is “slightly” (A few thousandths is all that is needed) either "above" or "below" the crimping groove, especially if you are going to apply a Taper Crimp to the cartridge.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
They sell it as a 45 ACP at 18bh and as a 45 Colt at 12bh. I have always used the 12 in my ACP. Same bullet a little longer is their 250gn Colt.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Just looked at your bullet at Missouri bullets site
Now it makes sense to me why everyone is using a shorter COL
(My bad as I should have checked the site earlier)

Missouri is selling you a 45 Colt bullet with a crimping groove to use in your 45ACP
(True 45ACP bullets have no crimping groove or cannelure)
Nothing initially wrong here but when seating bullets try and seat so case mouth is “slightly” (A few thousandths is all that is needed) either "above" or "below" the crimping groove, especially if you are going to apply a Taper Crimp to the cartridge.

They sell it as a 45 ACP at 18bh and as a 45 Colt at 12bh. I have always used the 12 in my ACP. Same bullet a little longer is their 250gn Colt.

See post #3. :D

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,340 Posts
Shot many thousand of that exact bullet @ 1.195-1.21 OAL.

I ran out of freebore in my barrel if I loaded them beyond 1.230"
My experience is with Precision RNFPs, but the story is otherwise about the same; I could load no longer than 1.22".

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
See post #3. :D
10-4 Trace....I didn't know MO bullets was using a Colt 45 bullet w/ crimping groove as there 200gr. RNFP 45ACP offering
Makes all the difference in the world in COL with that high crimping groove

:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts