1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

· Registered
2,577 Posts
The original Colt 1905 .45 Auto cartridge (200 gr. bullet @ +/- 900 fps) was the cartridge the Army should have adopted and probably would have without interference from the Cavalry and the Frankfort Arsenal. Does everything the 1911 cartridge will do plus less recoil and muzzle flip and a more balanced load resulting in better intrinsic accuracy.

· Premium Member
132 Posts
Back in the ‘70s, I shot 200 cast in order meet major caliber in the IPSC matches. Had to load to 1000 fps or more. That’s been a long time ago. Don’t remember the load, but it had to be with either Red Dot or Unique. That load shot better and was easier to control than the 230 grain RN.

· Registered
Rock Island Armory TAC Ultra MS 10mm
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dang! 750FPS going 50 yards must be about a 12" drop! Just sayin. Drop dosen't bother me, I shoot .308 to a thousand yards against the Creedmore Boyz and hold my own. I shoot, get a sip of coffee and then listen for the gong! You should see thier faces!

· Registered
174 Posts
I have been using X-tream 200 gr plated round nose over 6.2 grains of UNIQUE .. A nice low recoil and accurate load . I estimate about 850 fps but that is an best guess based on Lee loadng manual data.I don’t have a chronograph..

Reactions: Che

· Super Moderator
7,832 Posts
For my bullseye loads I use a 200 gr moly coated SWC which is an H&G 68 clone that I’ve been using for about 16 years or so. Great bullet! For normal range use I still prefer the feel of a 230 gr reload but that is just me. I just like a push instead of a snap. Never a feeding issue.

· Registered
7,818 Posts
I basicaly want to get 10,mm performannce from my newly aquired .45.
That's tough to do in 45acp, without beating up the gun. The 10mm might just be your answer. Plus, you now have new trade fodder. ;)

To the 200gr question- yes, lots of us do but mostly for bullseye or range ammo.

· Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,390 Posts
I shot nothing but 200s for ten years, 50k+ rounds.
Some people prefer the "softer" recoil of heavier bullets, for a given level of power, 230 grains or even 250 grains, but I like the snappier recoil of the [email protected]
Clays powder is my favorite, but near max at 4.1-4.2 grains.
I shot lots of N320, but it cost considerably more per round.
Bullet weight will have no effect on function, as long as you don't load them too light, but that's the case for any weight.

· Premium Member
3,944 Posts
My range load is a 200g 68 clone lubed and a dose of 231. My carry load is a V Crown or XTP also 200g. All of my 45acps are commander sized 41/4" or 4" barrels and the recoil factor works for me. I started with 230s and have a few hundred on hand , mostly 230g XTPs. and ball.

I prefer 200g just because JMB designed it that way.

· Premium Member
3,944 Posts
I get mine from Summers Enterprises, he has coated bullets as well and I may try some the next order. These cast bullets feed in all my 45s, I got the crimp a little loose on a box or 2 that wouldn't feed but that was my bad. I ran all of them thru my FCD properly adjusted and they ran fine.

I started using them as Bill Wilson recommended the 200g H&G 68s in his bench book of the 1911.
for accurate range work. That was good enough for me!

1 - 20 of 93 Posts