1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In comparing my new Special Combat Government with my older Combat Government Model, I noticed the following differences. Was wondering if anyone has any insights? ALL HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
1) The hole where the slide stop enters the mag well is just a milled hole in the old gun, but on the new one, Colt just sliced the top of the frame rail and milled the cut, leaving a piece of frame rail missing. Cost cutter move or something else?
2) The bump on the slide where you line up the slide/frame to remove the slide stop is located in different spots on the slide. Why change it?
3) The new gun's barrel is stainless and has a "PM" stamped above the link. The old gun is blue and has no stamp. Any idea who made the barrel on the new gun?
4)The new gun has a solid bushing, the old gun a collet-style. The new gun outshoots the old gun (1.5"-2" @ 25YD vs, 4-6" @ 25YD).
5)The new gun has a 4# trigger, the old gun has an 8# trigger. I assume the new gun is a custom shop or "tweaked" gun?
6)New gun has a good tight extractor, old gun has a loose extractor. (Oops, no wonder the old gun stovepipes and the new gun feeds and ejects flawlessly)
7) New gun has a longer ejector. Old model's ejector seems to have been ground off at the top, since they both look alike except for the longer tip on the new gun. Should I get a different ejector for the old gun? (it does not always eject well, but I assumed this was an extractor problem)
6) New gun is tight-fit between slide/frame. Old gun not bad here, but not near as good a finish/parts fit as the new gun (of course, the old gun only cost $500 a long time ago)
7) Anyone know when Colt made the Combat Government Model Serial #FG1XXXX?

[This message has been edited by arman (edited 06-02-2001).]

·
Administrator
73,431 Posts
1) The hole where the slide stop enters the mag well is just a milled hole in the old gun, but on the new one, Colt just sliced the top of the frame rail and milled the cut, leaving a piece of frame rail missing. Cost cutter move or something else?

Cost cutter. Plus in rare cases the rail could crack there.

2) The bump on the slide where you line up the slide/frame to remove the slide stop is located in different spots on the slide. Why change it?

Makes it easier to strip if you decide not to remove the spring plug first.

4)The new gun has a solid bushing, the old gun a collet-style. The new gun outshoots the old gun (1.5"-2" @ 25YD vs, 4-6" @ 25YD).

The collet bushing was never a great idea.

5)The new gun has a 4# trigger, the old gun has an 8# trigger. I assume the new gun is a custom shop or "tweaked" gun?

Nope. They tried tried harder this time.

6)New gun has a good tight extractor, old gun has a loose extractor. (Oops, no wonder the old gun stovepipes and the new gun feeds and ejects flawlessly)

Have a 'smith adjust your older gun's extractor. It shouldn't be loose.

7) New gun has a longer ejector. Old model's ejector seems to have been ground off at the top, since they both look alike except for the longer tip on the new gun. Should I get a different ejector for the old gun? (it does not always eject well, but I assumed this was an extractor problem)

The longer ejector is more popular now, but not much more effective. The loose extractor is likely causing your eject problems. If it doesn't hold the case well the ejector can't get a good whack at it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dsk,
Thanks so much for your time and the info. I will get the extractor replaced. The old gun has had over 7,000 rounds over the years, according to my puchases of ball ammo by the case. The new "Special Combat" really is a fine looking and shooting pistol. I am much more impressed than I am with my "old" Combat Government. Colt is looking good, and the prices are understandable due to USA manufacture. I hope they are doing other models as well as they did this one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts