1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to start by saying hello to everyone in the forum. I'm look forward to all the advice and lessons I hope to pick up here over the years.
I have just put 300 rounds through my new full size stainless TRP and it's having some trouble. On each of my 3 times shooting the slide has stuck back sometime after the 50th round has been fired. I can then drop the mag, the half chambered round falls out through mag well and press with some good force to the back of the slide to break it lose. It's not a gritty dirty stuck but a locked kind of stuck. I know its not the slide release because the slide isn't even back far enough to engage. Once the slide breaks free it is it's normal smooth as silk self and will shoot fine the rest of the rounds. I have cleaned the gun after each sesion. It also has a very tight slide to frame fit and is very picky about the types of ammo it will feed (I've tried 6 kinds all new), even with shooting Star mags.
Here are some pictures some of my shell cases. They have skid marks on the primers and dents in the sides. This is my first 1911 and I was wanting to know if this is normal? I'm praying that this has something to due with the fact that I can't shoot better than 5" groups at 16 yard standing
But I know thats my fault, I'm a bad shot. Thanks for any help!

[This message has been edited by Deputy Fife (edited 03-20-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Deputy Fife (edited 03-20-2001).]

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
From what I understand, the dents on the side of your cases probably occur during ejection where the rounds are bouncing off a corner or lip edge of the ejection port. That can be fixed by 'tuning' the ejector that means filing it slightly to change the angle at which it impacts the base of the round. Alex Hamilton at http://www.tenring.com/
demonstrated for me with a friend's gun. Just a couple of swipes with the small file and the cases went from being dented to not being dented. I am sorry, but I have no idea just how much of an angle correction was made, but it wasn't much.

I have no ideas about the skid marks on the primer.

·
Administrator
18,614 Posts
Deputy Fife,
Just out of curiosity, what kind of ammo are you shooting? After you clean the gun, are you lubricating it well? Don't spare the oil on the slide, hood, and bushing.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I put 50 rounds LSWC through my TRP this week with no problems. I'll let you know if I experience anything like your talking about with mine.

·
Registered
731 Posts
You might also try running more ammo through it. 300 rounds ain't much. I would send at least 500-750 down range before doing anything. The gun may just need to be broken in a little.

As to the dented casing, DNS seems to be right on the mark.

Billy Ray

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Check your breechface also. The primer shouldn't have those skid marks. If you bought the gun new, you should contact Springfield Customer service and send them those pics. They can probably give you a good answer to the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the great replies! I clean and use plenty of oil on the rails and other parts. Here's my ammo from best to worse...

American Eagle 230 FMJ
Winchester SXT 185 JHP
CCI Blazer 230 FMJ
Golden Saber 230 JHP
Golden Saber 185 +p JHP
PMC Starfires 230 JHP

I'm glade to hear the dents are from the ejection port and it's and easy fix. I like the idea of running more rounds through the gun before I send it back to Springfield but I'm worried that I will damage the firing pin due to those skid marks.

I will email those pictures and info to Springfield and let you know what they say.
Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My friends springfield does the same thing,on his, the round gets smacked up on the hood of the chamber when going into battery.Try loading a round and eject it and see if it has those dents.And he gets a jam where the gun just locks up,a real pain in the butt.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Welcome to the fray!

...And congratulations on your choice!

I'll give you some links in a minute that may help...
I'd also like to tell you that I got a new Champion from Santa back in December!

It had the "EXACT SAME " symptoms as yours!
I cured it by using a generous amount of +P Stainless Steel Lube by RIG...It's grease!
On the rails and everywhere it might bind. My slide to frame fit was tight and a little relief there helped as well...After 600-700 rounds, all the symptoms disappeared. I adjusted the extractor as well...That helped with the primer swiping...The off-center strike is still there, but makes no difference to me...It's not far enough off to cause a problem and I've never had a mis-fire...The Grease and relly greasing and lubing, helped get me through the first 300 or so rounds and after that it got better and better...By all means, if you are not happy with that pistol, contact Dave Williams at SA right away and tell hom your concerns! He has posted here many times and everyone that has had a problem that spoke directly with him, to my knowledge, has been satisfied...I won't hurt to shoot another 500 through it first and maybe it will work itself out a bit with shooting the crap out of it! The extractor will have to be your decision...Mine definitely improved with a little work, but if you are not of a mind to do this for yourself, contact SA and get on with it...Tell them ALL of your concerns, send some fired cases and the EXACT MAGAZINES YOU USE! A few rounds of the ammo you want to work in the pistol would be ahelpful as well...Contact them first and ask what to do...

OK...Here's the links I promised, although, if you did a search on "extractors" you'd already have this, because I give the same ones to everybody!

Good luck, Welcome to the Forum and may you continue as a "spreader of the 230 grain seeds of enlightenment!!!"
http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/tech/reliability_secrets.htm
http://www.sightm1911.com/index.htm
http://www.skdtac.com/
http://www.thewilderness.com/Pages/home.html
http://www.brownells.com/Index.html
http://www.ammoman.com/
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/default.asp
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/
http://www.springfield-armory.com/index.html

...Remember to check the archives...Do a few searches and you'll be amazed at how many answers are available to your questions!

Do one on Dave Williams and get his e-mail!

Have fun and kepp shootin' that thing!...If you get tired of it, send it on up here, we've got a Colorado 1911forum shoot comin' up pretty soon and it'll be broken in for ya' after that!!!

LOL...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey gyp_c, thanks for all the great links and info! Congrats on the new Champion. I love the looks of that gun! While at sightm1911.com's site I found an article about off-center firing pin strike. It said that its due to an accurized gun having a long barrel link and that its normal. Wow I sure have a lot to learn about this type of firearm. I think your idea about the grease is a good one and will pick some up this week. You guys have helped me make up my mind not to give up on this gun without running allot more rounds through it first. I'm going to shoot 300 more round tomorrow and more this weekend. Well see what happens.

Have fun at the 1911forum shoot!!!
See ya

·
Registered
251 Posts
light coat of wheel bearing grease with the moly works wonders as it is an extreme pressure lube and is less expensive than the other wonder lubes out there

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Great!
...Looks like you're squared away!
Enjoy yourself! There's not many things left these days...Better make the most of 'em!

Keep on shootin!

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Deputy I would not go working on the ejection port at all. Once you get 600 rounds or so through it if the problem does not go away call springfield. I have heard great things about their customer service.
I just recived my 1911 loaded stainless last thursday and love it I have had no problems at all with it. My friend on the other hand has a mil-spec he got 3 years ago and he had a problem with the slide not wanting to go foward all the way while shooting, after 600-800 rounds the problem fixed itself.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Agree with above comment. You pay good money for a fine pistol from a good manufacturer. I whole heartedly agree with the Break in theory. It takes time and wear for the surfaces to mate to each other. It after 700 rounds or so it is not right, MAKE SPRINGFIELD fix it. If you go filing on your slide or tweaking on your ejector, you just voided your warranty. Springfield is a reputable manufacturer. they will make it right.

------------------
45ACP
big lead hurts worse

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
I wouldn't waste any more ammo money until I had called SA Customer Service. They are great and will take good care of you. It is a drag having to send it in and wait, but it is probably inevitable. I suspect that they will consider it warranty work and will pay the shipping both ways. Let us know the outcome. Jerry

·
Registered
129 Posts
Deputy Fife:

I just bought a full size loaded myself and fired it for the first time yesterday. An inspection of the brass reveals off center primer strike just like yours and also the cases have a telltale ding as well. I don't however have the scratches on the primers like yours do. I have 200 rounds through it and no problems. Take care.

------------------
"Quid hoc ad aeternitatem?"

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The primer scuffs were due to a nasty ring bur around the firing pin hole. It was shearing off primer metal into the works of the gun. The problem seemed to fix itself because one morning I woke up and the bur was completely gone
. It is now cycling perfect! I'm going to order some MMC sight today because its shooting 4+ inches low. Thanks for all the replies.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Unless somebody has a better suggestion I have a good source for rail lube that is great and pretty cheap. I use anti-seize lube / grease in the copper color from any napa auto parts store. It is I believe the exact same stuff that comes on glocks on the rails. I have used it with great results to keep everything moving while breaking in a gun. It is also great to use on any fasteners or sparkplugs / oxygen sensors etc you ever wish to remove after salt exposure on a car. Anti seize goes typically on threads to keep a slight greasy film to prevent parts from rusting or seizing in place. The stuff is great for 1911 slide rails as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts