1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What, if any, differences would there be in a CQB built in 2002 and the current specification?

I noted in the knowledge base thread they there is a reference to frame numbers:

WCPS 2005 only 1st production run of forged, high cut front
I'm not trying to start a war here but I'm going to ask it to be sure: Were frames cast prior to 2005?

The pistol is black, it appears to have a bulletproof slide stop and a standard safety. The bushing is stainless. I assume that it is armor tuff (over carbon?)

The pistol is claimed low round count / all paper work, blue bag (would it have come with any kind of box other than the blue bag) and I have only seen 2 pictures of it - considering picking it up if it is close to the same as a new one as far as quality / fit / finish. Thoughts? Anything to watch out for ?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
There have been many improvements to the WC lineup since 2002. All new guns are Bulletproof and built totally in house using all their own parts. WCR has stated that the best firearms they ever made is the one made today.

I would have no issue buying a 2002 build or older. WC has the best customer service in any industry and will stand behind their product. No they probably aren't bulletproof, and use some cast parts, night sights might be dead or dying, and no high cut frame but they will still be a very nice firearm. Member blr I think has a very early model and has stated its one of his favorites (he has a great collection).

The price should also reflect its age, 1500-1800 range is what I would consider a very clean example.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured that there would be differences...

The gun looks brand new at least in pictures. He wants more than $1800.00 for it which is why I am trying to educate myself about it. I have no issue with some cast parts, but am adverse to expensive guns with cast frames, so I'd like to verify that in 2002 Wilson was using forged frames.

I'd also be very interested in any specifics about what else might have changed...

Maybe Bill will be along... ;)

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Is the " old frame" and build start with the WC prefix. I saw somewhere that the WC was 1996-2005. I would like more info if anyone knows also. There's a WC gun for sale locally that has a 2005 build date.

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
thanks

would be nice to know if they were forged or cast. Beavertail and safety appeared not to be bp slide release looked to be bp

...just good info to know...it says first forged "high cut" ..not only first forged..so might be a chance the WC era is forged? someone with more knowledge will have to help...lol

·
Registered
124 Posts
If it's a reasonable price, go for it. Wilson takes care of their customers. Likewise, cast Wilson parts are very likely high quality parts-wouldn't worry about those either.

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
Their warranty follows the gun. You shouldn't have any worries other then maybe the sights.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Sounds like the gun is around $2000. For that I would be shopping for a newer one, and if you stretch a few more dollars and shop around you will be able to do quite well.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
The gun looks brand new at least in pictures. He wants more than $1800.00 for it which is why I am trying to educate myself about it.
You have to make that call, I was being very nice on the 1800.00 end for a 2002 build. I have a new 2011 Professional build that was not much north of that new.;).

WC builds great guns but if your in the used market used is used, even pristine it shouldn't get in the new price range. What do you think that CQB retailed for in 02? I can't say for sure but there are many here who can, I'm betting not 1800.00. There was a local shop to me that had a 04 CQB for sale a year ago for 2400.00. It was a plane Jane nothing special CQB with 6 mags. When I questioned the sales guy he said its a Wilson with six Mags. They had a new CQB for less then 100 more:hrm: guess which way I went:D

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
What, if any, differences would there be in a CQB built in 2002 and the current specification?

I noted in the knowledge base thread they there is a reference to frame numbers:

I'm not trying to start a war here but I'm going to ask it to be sure: Were frames cast prior to 2005?

The pistol is black, it appears to have a bulletproof slide stop and a standard safety. The bushing is stainless. I assume that it is armor tuff (over carbon?)

The pistol is claimed low round count / all paper work, blue bag (would it have come with any kind of box other than the blue bag) and I have only seen 2 pictures of it - considering picking it up if it is close to the same as a new one as far as quality / fit / finish. Thoughts? Anything to watch out for ?
Differences between 2002 and 2013:
Better everything on a 2013 gun.
Better finishing and fitting on 2013 gun.

A used 2002 gun in 97% condition is a $1700-1900 gun.
A used 2012 gun in 97% condition is a $2200-2400 gun.

No box, just a blue bag.

I dearly love my old CQB. I'd sell off my new TSGs before that gun. But it's no where near a new gun quality. I'm just attached to that gun.

And truth be told, my new CQBs are better guns than my old TSG.

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
Sounds like the gun is around $2000. For that I would be shopping for a newer one, and if you stretch a few more dollars and shop around you will be able to do quite well.
I doubt you'll ever get a deal like the one I sold you again.

·
Registered
804 Posts
PM-170, the gun is not the same as the one they would build for you today. If the gentlemen is not willing to help on the price, I would save my money and opt for a new CQB gun. The price for new, today is $2865 if bought direct. It is my understanding that you can save a few hundred dollars by purchasing through a store such as MIGUNSLINGERS. There are others, but I bought direct and paid a little more than I should have. If you can get the 2002 for around $1500, it would be a good deal. If not I would opt for the 2014-15 model you would get if built for you. Your money, your choice, my two cents.
Best of luck in making your decision.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All right, I read you guys loud and clear...

Thanks for talking me down...

I doubt I could get it for the price ranges you guys are saying based on his asking price ... so i'll let it pass...

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I doubt you'll ever get a deal like the one I sold you again.
Well of course not. There has been what - four, five, more? - Wilson price increases since that gun was built back in 2010.

As I recall you got all of your money out of it. As did I. Owner three broke even on it as well. The only winner is lucky dude #4 who is 3k into a pistol which would run him over 4k new today.

Fortunately owner number four is a douchebag and so I don't feel too bad about it all :rofl:

Like a lot of us I have some guns that I bought several years ago that now, looking back, could/should be considered deals in the context of current prices. That doesn't mean I got a deal on them back then, it just means that market value has changed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts