1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Figures drawn from the ATFs Annual Firearms and Exporting report for 2012, the last year published. (I was wrong here and added 2013 below.)

This is only a snapshot of the info contained in the report and only covers those guns made in the U.S.

"Rifles" includes rifles and carbines of all types but excludes shotguns (see the report for shotgun production).

This is a link to that report in pdf form:

https://www.atf.gov/file/4751/download

Berreta (U.S. manufacture only, other production can be seen in the report)

Pistols: 140,670

Colt (U.S. manufacture only. Canadian rifle manufacture n/a)

Pistols: 52,391

Revolver: 1553

Rifle: 111,248

Glock

Pistols: 131,550

Kimber

Pistols: 120,152

Rifles: 3,852

Sig (U.S. manufacture only)

Pistols: 532,575

Rifles: 99,001

Smith & Wesson

Pistols: 606,082

Revolvers: 216,150

Rifles: 302,343

Springfield Inc.

Pistols: 49,525

Rifles: 19,686

Sturm Ruger & Co.

Pistols: 865,671

Revolvers: 251,940

Rifles: 534,333

Some of the above produce shots guns and "Misc. Firearms" which I did not include here.

While some of the figures have changed some in the last few years the relationship of one company to another has not shifted and neither has their general place in the industry.

Berretta produces many rifles and shotguns but U.S. production is small.

tipoc

·
Registered
104 Posts
Interesting. The way people talk, I would have figured Colt made less than 10k pistols a year. I would have also figured Glock made more like 500k.

It's interesting to see that Sig, S&W, and Ruger are such huge companies. I didn't realize Springfield was quite so small either.

·
Banned
5,244 Posts
Interesting. The way people talk, I would have figured Colt made less than 10k pistols a year. I would have also figured Glock made more like 500k.

It's interesting to see that Sig, S&W, and Ruger are such huge companies. I didn't realize Springfield was quite so small either.
They also break down calibers and other things. Colt and Wilson make about the same number of guns, including all the Colt Talo runs... Colt is not doing well.

Glock is only listing the Made In The USA ones. That's a drop in their over all market of making about 70,000 Glocks a week. Glock has made more G guns than all 1911's made since 1911. Glock is rumored to keep a small back order status, to keep things flowing.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2013 Figures

Figures for 2013. This year was a year of panic buying and tremendous production.

https://www.atf.gov/file/3341/download

As above U.S. production only. Shotguns not included. I did not include Beretta's rifle figures.

Colt

Pistols: 69,808

Revolvers: 978

Rifles: 147,183

Beretta

Pistols: 163,233

Glock

Pistols: 204,481

Kimber

Pistol: 146,823

Rifles: 3,898

Sig

Pistols: 551,001

Rifles: 121,242

Smith & Wesson

Pistols: 931,416

Revolvers: 225,777

Rifles: 348731

Springfield

Pistols: 50,857

Rifles: (I did not see a figure for Springfield rifle production in the U.S.)

Sturm Ruger & Co.

Pistols: 1,114,550

Revolvers: 295,661

Rifles: 768,284

tipoc

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Colt and Wilson make about the same number of guns, including all the Colt Talo runs... Colt is not doing well.
I believe you may be looking at the wrong figures.

In 2012 Wilson produced 3,130 pistols and 858 rifles.

In 2013 Wilson produced 4,012 pistols and 2,063 rifles.

In 2012 Colt produced 52,391 pistols and 1553 revolvers. They also produced 111,248 rifles.

In 2013 Colt produced 69,808 pistols, 978 wheelguns and 147,177 carbines and rifles. All from Ct. and a few from Fl. Figures on Colt rifle production in Canada are not included in the reports from the ATF.

Wilson is a custom shop and does not produce close to that.

tipoc

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't realize Springfield was quite so small either.
Not counted here are any pieces Springfield sells which are counted by the ATF as imported and not manufactured in the U.S.

I mentioned I did not see any long gun figures for 2013 for Springfield which either means they still have 2012 stock to sell and made nothing that year or that someone else is making the guns for them in the U.S.

tipoc

·
Banned
5,244 Posts
I believe you may be looking at the wrong figures.

In 2012 Wilson produced 3,130 pistols and 858 rifles.

In 2013 Wilson produced 4,012 pistols and 2,063 rifles.

In 2012 Colt produced 52,391 pistols and 1553 revolvers. They also produced 111,248 rifles.

In 2013 Colt produced 69,808 pistols, 978 wheelguns and 147,177 carbines and rifles. All from Ct. and a few from Fl. Figures on Colt rifle production in Canada are not included in the reports from the ATF.

Wilson is a custom shop and does not produce close to that.

tipoc
I guess I was looking at the number of pistols sold as Colt Defense, 1211

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It can be tricky till you see it.

The listings are by state and facility so if a company has two locations in a state separate figures are given for guns produced at each facility. Colt has two addresses in Ct. and an address in Fl.

If a company has operations in more than one state figures are given for guns manufactured in each facility in those states.

For Ruger you look at N.H. and Arizona to get the total figures, for example.

tipoc

·
Administrator
73,107 Posts
I wasn't aware Colt produced anything outside their West Hartford plant. :scratch:

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I wasn't aware Colt produced anything outside their West Hartford plant. :scratch:

Haven't you heard? All the Rock Island owners tell me that they use old Colt tooling in the Philippines to make 1911's. :rolleyes:

:rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
275 Posts

They do....spoke with people there at glock on the phone ....they make ...put together 5000 pistols a day ....per two different people I spoke with. So the numbers are confusing

·
Registered
275 Posts
It can be tricky till you see it.

The listings are by state and facility so if a company has two locations in a state separate figures are given for guns produced at each facility. Colt has two addresses in Ct. and an address in Fl.

If a company has operations in more than one state figures are given for guns manufactured in each facility in those states.

For Ruger you look at N.H. and Arizona to get the total figures, for example.

tipoc
The address in florida is vacant

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
According to the ATF Colt's Ballistic Logistics LLC made 6 rifles at 3001 44th Ave. N, St. Petersburg, Fl. in 2013.

The only outfit that uses Colt in it's name is Colt according to Colt's lawyers.

Maybe the ATF is wrong.

Maybe it's a whole different outfit unconnected to Colt and using it's name. But given Colt's history of suing folks that do so...I doubt it.

tipoc

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They do....spoke with people there at glock on the phone ....they make ...put together 5000 pistols a day ....per two different people I spoke with. So the numbers are confusing
If they make 5000 pistols a day they aren't reporting it to the ATF.

Which seems unlikely.

The ATF counts finished frames (receivers) as a produced gun. It does not count a frame shipped from Austria and finished as a gun in Ga. as being made in the U.S. It counts only the frames made in the U.S. in these figures.

If 5000 guns a day leave the plant (1,825,000 a year) than most are leaving on frames not made in the U.S.

But we should be very suspicious of that 5000 a day figure from one plant.

tipoc

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
I would say NO these are just the numbers made in the USA.. Most of the glocks are still made in Austria
OK. Cause correct me if I am wrong, but something like 70% of LE agencies, local and federal, are using Glocks. Go to my LGS, Glocks are the biggest seller. Go overseas, Glocks are the biggest sellers, or used the most by LE or military.

Of course the going price for a BNIB Glock in Cambodia is $3500. :eek:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts