1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this can so long I do not remember where or when I got it... I thought about storing my loaded ammo in it. Since the ammo is all in my closet in the house and the HVAC runs all the time, why? Not only that, but the 5.56 cans I have with 45ACP weigh 25-30 lbs. each. This thing would be over 100 lbs if I used it for that. Or do I give it to the wife to use as a planter? Just kidding, she would not approve. I thought about storing powder in it, but the powder is also in the house. What do you fellas do with cans this size? Danny

Font Gas Metal Composite material Machine

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have had this can so long I do not remember where or when I got it... I thought about storing my loaded ammo in it. Since the ammo is all in my closet in the house and the HVAC runs all the time, why? Not only that, but the 5.56 cans I have with 45ACP weigh 25-30 lbs. each. This thing would be over 100 lbs if I used it for that. Or do I give it to the wife to use as a planter? Just kidding, she would not approve. I thought about storing powder in it, but the powder is also in the house. What do you fellas do with cans this size? Danny

View attachment 638728
I know what we used them for in Somalia, but most homes here have indoor plumbing making a 20mm can obsolete in most of the United States and Canada!

·
Registered
83 Posts

View attachment 638728

Put stuff in it.

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
I have several of them. I use them to store my reloaded rifle ammo that I keep in 50rd plastic flip-top boxes. And yes, I also use them for storing powder.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I had several of them. Basically I use one as permanent toe stubber. I use it for Holster container. I gave others away. Also had a bunch of wooden 106mm ammo cases. I use one of them in garage for storage magazine for my lead ingots, and alloy ingots for bullet casting. A store locally “ Odd Lots “ had these by truck load dirt cheap in 1980s. That was when many businesses were going under and contents ended up in these type stores.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys. I have been using them to store some vintage T3 headlights (don’t ask, I am a pack rat...) for the past 25 years, but was hoping to put it to use in an application closer to the original. Sorry, I don’t have any 20mm ammo! Toe stubber ? Yup, been doing that for years! Brass? Maybe, but I don’t have that much empty brass. Maybe after I join the local outdoor range later this Summer. They don’t take new members until June.. Danny

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Years ago when I was into restoring antique military vehicles I bolted a 20mm can to the tongue on my trailer for storing the tie down straps along with a few tools. Water tight and lockable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use mine to store hand gun overflow from the primary and secondary locations. Place in a pistol boot and double stack same. It will hold at least 20, maybe more, depending on the thickness of pistol case fabric and padding.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts