1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this is it my youngest (son) turned 21 and as tradition has it I allowed him to pick out a pistol for CCW, (I have done this for all my kids). His Choice was a new Taurus 1911 with the TAC rail.
After a few accessories were purchased he came up with a couple of questions, me I'm a HK fan so the 1911 platform is not as familiar to me, so here they are.

1. 7 round mags picked up at the show do not hold the slide open after the last round, nor do they drop like the 8 round factory mag, thoughts please.

2. We were Trying to find a nice leather pancake holster but it will not fit one designed for a standard 1911, we think it is due to the TAC rail, ideas anyone.

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
#1: Usually 7 round mags work better, it may be you picked up some lemons.
#2: Rails require a special holster. Do a search, don't be cheap. The holster and belt are the most important part of carrying a pistol. An inexpensive Llama carries just as well as an Ed Brown in a good set of leather (not that I'd recommend the Llama)!
Thanks and congratulations for sharing your passion with your kids!

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
#1. Sounds very much like the old "gun show mag" situation. I`ve learned the hard way to be VERY careful in knowing what you are buying at these show....a lot of them are junk. Buy high quality name brand only.
#2. Yes, you may have to go with at least a semi custom holster...there are many good ones out there, and not very likely at a gun show unless it`s a large premier show.

·
Registered
351 Posts
That's an awesome family tradition. Congrats and kudos.
I recommend you order him some Chip McCormick Power mags (Midway Shooters Supply one excellent source). Magazines make the 1911. These are fairly reasonable $ and highly regarded.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Usually not locking the slide back on the last round is a result of weak mag springs. Try some new springs and if that doesn't do the trick, get some new quality magazines. Wilson, McCormick PowerMags, and CobraMags are some decent brands to consider.

That's great that you get your kids a new handgun when they hit 21 and I plan to do the same thing with mine. I also respect that you allow them to pick the platform that they prefer. I prefer 1911's but would have no problems if my kids picked a polymer gun or some other non-1911 handgun. It's just great to have them interested in guns and even better yet - -carrying one for protection.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys I will have a look at Midway and maybe order the boy some nice Wolf springs for the mags.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Congrats and happy b-day to your son. Cheap gunshow magazines are the bane of the 1911 world!!! Forget fixing the gunshow junk. CDNN has Chip McCormick (CMC) Shooting star magazines for $13 in stainless or the blue "tactical" (house brand for CMC Shooting Star) for $10. They also have genuine Colt and Novak for under $19. Shipping is $10 if you buy one or fifty. Better yet pick him up 2 or 3 of the best of breed Chip McCormick 8rd Powermags from Midway for $22ea. If he's carrying his life may depend on the quality of his magazines so don't let him go out with gunshow mags.

Also a word to the wise. The PT1911 is a fine pistol, but like any pistol it should be proven with 200-300rd, plus another 100 of his chosen carry round fired from his chosen magazines. Then you can relax.

You might look at these DeSantis holsters, they are for the light rail equipped Kimber. You may also want to give Raven Concealment a call. They do Kydex but their rep is excellent.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Again awesome family tradition.
For magazines I strongly recommend Wilson combat mags. I have 3 wc mags and 3 chip McCormick and the CNS have failed on me multiple times in multiple ways whereas the wc mags have never given me a single problem.

For holsters check out ubg holsters. They make a holster for any size 1911 with or without a rail.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Again awesome family tradition.
For magazines I strongly recommend Wilson combat mags. I have 3 wc mags and 3 chip McCormick and the CNS have failed on me multiple times in multiple ways whereas the wc mags have never given me a single problem.

For holsters check out ubg holsters. They make a holster for any size 1911 with or without a rail.
Just an FYI I have two brand new Wilson mags that are too weak to feed two in a row. They aren't what they used to be.

·
Registered
461 Posts
New springs are a pretty simple fix!:)
But why should I have to fix two brand new high buck magazines? Especially when I've never had a CMC fail me?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts