1911Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old Conversion has been very reliable and accurate; until now. In the last 100 rounds it has been reduced to a jam-o-matic, and I can't figure out why. I started having failures to extract, and blamed it on the extractor slot cut in the face of the floating chamber. The chamber wall is very thin there, and I thought the nose of the extractor was peening the chamber mouth to the extent that cases were hanging-up. I found a replacement chamber, and while empty cases will drop in and out (indicating the chamber itself OK), loaded rounds will often stop short of fully chambering. Cycling by hand will often leave these rounds in the chamber. If the bullet is already gone when extraction starts, then the tight fit of a bullet shouldn't affect extraction, right? I carefully watched the extraction/ejection part of the cycle, and noted that the extractor hook does not exert any spring tension on the case rim; is that normal? The springing action seems only to come into play during chambering; the extractor is cammed away from the rim to allow complete chambering, then springs back into contact with the rim during extraction. Could someone else check their Colt conversion or Ace, and see if your extractor likewise does not apply any tension to the case rim?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts