1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking at a Kimber .22 at my local Gander Mountain, I decided to build one myself. I ordered a Kimber .22 Kit, an Essex Arms receiver, and several parts from Midway and Brownells. Here it is:

Still have some minor work to complete, but it is ready to test fire.

·
Registered
588 Posts
How do you think the cost of your project compares to just buying the complete Kimber? Nice looking gun, BTW.

·
Registered
256 Posts
hi cajunboy,, looks good!!! i am planing the same thing,,,i have a marvel top end coming some day,,,it was supposed to be here for Christmas but it hasn't made it yet...

but i am looking for a frame to get built up,,, so what do you think of the Essex frame??

i guess it doesn't need to be a Ed Brown or Caspian,,, on the marvel kit the slide does not move back and forth like i think your Kimber does,,,the front of the slide is stationary while the back opens for ejection,,,works kinda like a 41 smith....

anyway are the holes and rails to size and in the right place???

thanks and again nice build

ocharry

·
Premium Member
9,656 Posts
Nice work on the Essex.

I went for the opposite look. A black Marvel 2 unit over a stainless Caspian frame. It still needs some cosmetic touch-ups, but shoots fantastic. As to the issue of cost, financially I would have been better off buying a complete .22lr 1911 from Kimber. The feeling of building it myself is priceless. Total cost to date approximately $900. That's with my discount at Brownells and Midway.

Here's a pic of Rebel 1.

The plan for this summer is to finish the smoothing out of the rough areas, bead blasting the frame and building a .45 top end in Melonite.

Robert

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the complements. Some of the parts I used came from my parts box. The mag release and MSH came off a Springfield Loaded and the grips were from the parts bin as well. Rest of the parts where purchased from my Dealer account at Midway. Here is a rundown:

Frame - $199 w shipping and transfer fees
Parts - about $160 - I ordered about $300 or so in parts, mostly grip safties, because I wanted the finish to match the Kimber silver as well as possible. I just sent the remaining parts back for refund.
.22 kit was $260 (Christmas gift from my wife)

So about $620 give or take. My local Gander Mountain was selling the completed Kimber .22 for $900, and it was the only one I could find at the time for a price comparison.

ETA: The Essex Frame
I purchased the enhanced frame directly from Essex - $179 shipped - because they were the only one with any when I ordered. I wanted the Enhanced because the rear already had a .250 cut for the Beavertail. I still had to put a jig on it and remove some metal to get it to fit properly. In retrospect, I would have saved about $40 and got the basic frame if I would have known. The frame looks great. I did have to remove some metal from the frame where the barrel lug fits. The area was real narrow and there were a couple of burrs there. Other than that the frame was excellent. All the holes lined up and the slide of the .22 kit went on with no fitting. I tried one of my .45 slides just out of curiosity, and the frame was a little too wide.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Cajunboy,

Wow, that is really great. I think I might do what you are doing. I have the Kimber conversion too, and have been looking at getting the whole complete Kimber 22 pistol- but for your price, it looks like your set up is the way to go!

It looks exactly like a CDP! Keep us informed on how it shoots- I think this might be a better way to go! Thanks. :rock:

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took it to the range yesterday. Only ran about 50 rounds through it - I did not lubricate it enough and did not want to cause a problem. It is a little picky on ammo, but once if found what it liked, it ran well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts