1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about a .22 cal. 1911 for some time now. I like the uniqueness of the downsized Browning but more familiar with the full sized 1911 platform. I see Colt/Walther, Kimber, Sig-Sauer each make a 1911 platform for the .22LR. I also like the looks of the Sig 226, in .22 LR.
Of all the above, any experience, recommendations or warnings? Mostly concerned with accuracy, reliability and quality of construction.
Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I have a very early GSG that when I bought it was garbage. It kept snapping the pot metal guide rods. Finally somebody on a web forum came up with the idea and machined some aluminum ones and it's been great ever since.

If they've corrected that issue I'd say they're a good option.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
I bought the Colt/Walther last year and it's been excellent. Only change was replacing the recoil spring with the ZRTS spring. Very accurate. Cycling has been fine with basic box ammunition but it really likes the super duper velocity stuff. Seems to have a bit more accuracy with the hotter loads.

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
A few months back, I purchased a GSG 922 which is a Govt/Comm lower with a 3.6in. bbl and slide. It is a bull bbl. with no bushing. It has handled every brand of 22cal ammo that I have tried in it. I am very pleased with this gun at the price point. I own other .22cal handguns, but seem to take this one to the range on a regular basis. There are quite a few differences in this GSG 922 over the Govt. size GSG-22.

·
Registered
27,699 Posts
If you actually want a 1911 size and feel, a good .22 conversion unit is the way to go, IMO.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I'm never parting with my Kimber Rimfire Super. No other .22 pistol/revolver that I own is as accurate. Fun to shoot and great practice with a 1911 style gun.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have a very early GSG that when I bought it was garbage. It kept snapping the pot metal guide rods. Finally somebody on a web forum came up with the idea and machined some aluminum ones and it's been great ever since.

If they've corrected that issue I'd say they're a good option.

I bought the Sig 1911-22 (same as the GSG).
I read up about the guide rods before purchasing and bought a stainless guide rod and installed it before shooting it for the first time.
It's been flawless.

·
Registered
27,699 Posts
That's good. Flawless is hard to do in a 22

·
Registered
131 Posts
I would reccommend going with a conversion kit as well. Nelson Custom makes the best of the bunch IMO.
I'll second that.

It ends up costing as much for just a high quality conversion such as the newer Nelson, but you end up with a much better .22 pistol than any of the pot metal 1911 copies.

I put a Nelson on my stainless Colt Government, and it is sweet, to say the least.
Better yet, I can change back and forth between the Nelson .22 conversion unit and the original .45 stainless Govt. upper in less than a minute.

There have been a lot of .22 uppers offered over the years, some good, some not so good. But I think we're fortunate to have at this moment one of the best ever made.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I had a GSG conversion kit for awhile, just never really enjoyed shooting it very much. When I want to shoot .22 I always reach for my Buckmark, it's a lot more fun. When I want to shoot a 1911, which is every range trip I shoot .45 and occasionally 9mm.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've got a couple 1911-22 pistols...a Chiappa 1911-22 and the Colt/Walther Government Model 22

I do not recommend the Chiappa 1911-22...it does work...but is cheap and cheesy not all that reliable...

The Colt Government .22 is a lot better .22 pistol. Has some thoughtful features to prolong the life of the pistol such as a steel breech insert...a steel pin in the slide to protect the slide-stop notch from wearing-out...a tiny poly bumper on the slide-stop lever to protect the frame...also has a replaceable barrel. Much better reliability than the Chiappa!

The only real draw-back to using one of the several brands of 'pot metal' 1911-22 pistols as practice pistols to improve efficiency with a full-size 1911 .45 pistol is the big weight difference . The pot metal .22 pistols are light and weigh nothing like a real steel 1911 pistol.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Nelson Conversion kit gets my vote! I liked mine so much that I built up a dedicated frame for it so I wouldn't have to switch out which gun it was on. It weighs in pretty close to a full size 1911 with the conversion, which is a nice thing!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I have an Advantage Arms which is great. Also built a dedicated frame ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441724598.521714.jpg

·
Registered
27,699 Posts
I had a Caspian lower purpose built for my Marvel.
I kinda wish I had started with a Nelson or another "lockback" model. But, it's a range toy, not going to war with it.
And it's so awesome.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts