1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a SW1911PD (no box or papers) with the intent of putting on my Colt 22 conversion, that I currently use on a Colt Government. When I got it installed, I could not pull the trigger. The only difference between the PD and my other 1911 is in the below picture. What is that part?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,848 Posts
Firing pin safety

I purchased a SW1911PD (no box or papers) with the intent of putting on my Colt 22 conversion, that I currently use on a Colt Government. When I got it installed, I could not pull the trigger. The only difference between the PD and my other 1911 is in the below picture. What is that part?
Looks to be a part of the firing-pin safety. The S&W design is operated by the grip safety. Does the trigger operate when the center-fire upper is mounted and the grip safety is disengaged?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I first got the gun, I sent 200 rounds down range, with the original slide, with no problems. I can also put the trigger, with no slide installed.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Thats unfortunate. I was one of the members saying that a Colt .22 Conversion Unit will work on a S&W when you were asking originally. I've not seen that firing pin safety on a S&W before and as you can see my SW1911PC doesn't have one either.

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The PD is a very nice shooter, so all is not lost. I will just put the 22 on my E-Series, and keep an eye out for something else.

Do you know the year your PD was built? Also, I see you are using a shock-buffer. Is that because of the Alloy frame?

·
Registered
394 Posts
The PD is a very nice shooter, so all is not lost. I will just put the 22 on my E-Series, and keep an eye out for something else.

Do you know the year your PD was built? Also, I see you are using a shock-buffer. Is that because of the Alloy frame?
My pistol is from the Performance Centre and its a full size all stainless pistol. I use the shock buffers on all my 1911's. Cheap insurance in my mind. We can't carry up here so I have no reliability concerns using them, although it's been 100% reliable with them.

·
Premium Member
3,848 Posts
Short side-track

I've not seen that firing pin safety on a S&W before and as you can see my SW1911PC doesn't have one either.
Is that frame in the white? In any case, it looks nice. The softness of the factory finish was a minor nuisance as I was using kydex holsters at the time I puchased mine. } -;

[ed. Ah ... NVM ... steel, so yes, it’s in the white.]

·
Premium Member
3,848 Posts
Since you didnt recognize it ...

You are correct. It is a firing pin safety. I found this thread.
https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=286924

Don't know what I am going to do now. I got the SW1911PD to use the 22 on.

My Colt was build in 1928, so no firing pin safety. My other SW1911 E-Series does not have it either.
Since you didnt recognize it, you’ve likely not previously re-assembled a 1911-pattern with a FPS. And I’ve certainly re-assembled 1911-pattern pistols such that the FPS would not disengage; taken it back apart and, paying more attention, re-assembled it correctly as indicated by the action now working. That’d be my -guess- here. Never used a Colts’ .22 conversion ... but lots of other .22 conversions. So it’s -possible- there’s an incompatibility with the FPS ... but I’d be pretty surprised.

S&W has given me owner’s manuals for the asking. If they’ve had a policy change, it’s likely still worthwhile to get one. Ah ha! Is your S&W a government? Or a commander? That model I understand to be a commander ... and this might explain an incompatibility:

https://forums.1911forum.com/showpost.php?p=807484&postcount=6

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is a government. I will examine the 22 slide and the PD Slide, and look for the differences. I assume the PD will have a firing pin plunger in the slide, for the upper sear to press on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts