1911Forum banner

.22 conversion kit

1037 9
Has anyone purchased one of these and how often do you use it? Seems like a great way to practice with cheap ammo.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
75 Posts
my friend has one of these. yes ammo is rediculously cheap. its helps practicing a little bit but not alot because it differs so much from the .45, has little to no recoil at all. its fun to shoot but doesnt make much difference practicing.

· Registered
292 Posts
Have a Marvel Unit 1

Just picked it up a week or so ago. Well made, very accurate. I've only had it to the range once and it worked well. Although the recoil and weight are different it still helps me with the trigger pull. Should be great fun.

· Premium Member
739 Posts
I have the Kimber Rimfire Target II pistol in .22 cal, and love it. A real blast to shoot. I liked it soooo much I bought a .17 Mach 2 Stainless Conversion Kit. It also works great, but I never use it, so I'll probably put it on e-bay for $250. Which brings up a good question of why are the Kimber .22 Conversions $250. and the Kimber .17 Mach 2 Conversions $350?

· Premium Member
871 Posts
I have one and like to shoot it. I use it with my SW1911 frame.
However I had problems with the 22 magazine which I fixed my self. The mags follower was not rising high enough to hold the first cartridge and I was getting many FTF's because of it.
I also shot loose the rear sight, which was an easy fix. A drop of locktite on the set screw (under the sight).

All ready for the next time!

· Registered
9 Posts
I like mine - try to use it twice a month

I have a Kimber .22 Conversion for my Team Match II. I have a lot of fun plinking with it. Also it's good trigger practice - and I need all the practice I can get. I get the occasional FTF (maybe 1 or 2 in 100) with cheap bulk pack ammo (like federal or rem from Wally World) but have never had a failure to cycle with CCI Stingers or Velocitors. I'll deal with the occasional FTF with bulk pack, mostly because with Stingers the cost saving is only 1:3 instead of 1:10. I've never had a FTE (extract or eject) at all, even with cheap ammo.

Note: The Kimber supplied mag does not work with the extended mag-well funnel on the Team Match II (or anything with an extended mag-well), but if you use a Ciener mag, it works fine. As a bonus, the current production Cieners are 15 round capacity compared to the standard 10. Note: the above reliability results are with the Ciener mag. The plastic Kimber mag can be modified to fit, but I didn't, and have never used it.

· Registered
16 Posts
Hey TWG... I was gonna buy the same for my TC II, but didn't since Kimber stated the mags wouldn't work. I didn't want to spend $250, plus another $50 for mags when for not much more I could have a real 22. What mod would need to be done to the Kimber mag?

· Registered
9 Posts
modifying the Kiber .22 mag to fit extended magwells

As I said, I haven't modified mine, but I've definitely seen posted pics from someone who has. It was either here, or over at RimfireCentral.

The base of the Kimber supplied plastic magazine has protrustions on the sides of the magazine at the very bottom. These interfere with the mag well. Basically, they are 'U' channels into which the base plate slides. In the pics I saw, the guy had simply beveled down the protrusions / 'U' channels with a file or dremel tool or whatever. Then the mag fit. The reason I chose not to do so, is that the way the mag is built, filing them down like this leaves the plastic very thin, and it looks (to me) like it would weaken the mag in a way such that the channel could split from the mag and the base plate could separate - particularly under pressure from the spring of a loaded mag. It just didn't look like a very elegant solution. Others have noted the Ciener mag compatibility previously, so I went that route. The Kimber is the same design as the Ciener, just supplied with a plastic mag - most likely for cost savings. Additional plastic Kimber mags are $25 as opposed to $35-$40 for the Ciener metal version. [EDIT: to make things perfectly clear, the Ciener has no protrusions, it's shaped like a normal 1911 mag]

You're correct that for the price of the conversion and additional mag, one can buy a nice .22 (Browning Buckmark or Ruger MkII / MkIII ). For me, the point of the conversion is cheaper trigger practice on the Kimber.

I don't know how I'm going to justify buying the 17HM2 conversion...but I'll burn that bridge when I come to it! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.