1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Which conversion kits fit a RIA FS 9mm 1911 ? I've heard that Nelson, Marvel, and Kart are cream of the crop, but will any of these fit? How about Advantage Arms, and is AA good enough for Precision Bullseye Shooting?

Im just getting into 22 Bullseye and it gives me the excuse to buy a 22 conversion kit for my 9mm RIA if I can find one that is both accurate enough, and that fits.

Of course I could just buy a whole new 22 for this purpose, but I thought the possibility was worth exploring..

Any and all input appreciated !

Lain

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've had nothing but positive experience with my Kimber 22 conversion kit. Admittedly, I have not tried it on my 9mm FS but I can't imagine it wouldn't work just as well. Magazines are $18, are plastic and hold up well. The adjustable sights are quite good and Dawson sells replacement fronts.

I intend to put the conversion unit on my RIA soon and give it a try.

I should add that on my Kimber 45 I dropped to a 17 pound mainspring and that helped with being able to use other ammo besides Mini-Mags in the conversion. The RIA 9mm comes with an 18 pound. I have dropped that to a 15 pound in mine.

Good Luck

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've got a Nelson Conversion on a RIA 9mm "GI" model.
I had to file/Dremel tool the ejector to make it work, the ejector appeared to be over sized. Works great now, got a 3-3.5 trigger job on the RIA.

*** No problems ejecting the 9mm cases with the original slide on.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I recently tried to put my Advantage Arms .22 conversion on my RIA GI 9mm and it did not fit. It works fine on my Ruger 1911, Colt 1991 NRM and S&W 1911. All these are 45 ACP.

·
Registered
283 Posts
RON, was it the ejector? Filing down the ejector will fix that problem, & the 9mm (slide) cases will still eject fine, at least that's my limited experience.

I recently tried to put my Advantage Arms .22 conversion on my RIA GI 9mm and it did not fit. It works fine on my Ruger 1911, Colt 1991 NRM and S&W 1911. All these are 45 ACP.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have been running a AA conversion on a RIA tactical 9mm for 4 years with no issues

·
Premium Member
14,686 Posts
For the price of most of the kits.
Id buy a dedicated 22LR instead.

amen
especially and in particular if he wants to compete in precision accuracy comps

Im just getting into 22 Bullseye

for $300 bukz he can have brand new Ruger 22/45 that will not only be more reliable with different ammo, but more accurate too

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
765 Posts
amen
especially and in particular if he wants to compete in precision accuracy comps

for $300 bukz he can have brand new Ruger 22/45 that will not only be more reliable with different ammo, but more accurate too

..L.T.A.
My Ruger Mark2 Slabside is more accurate at 100 yards then my 10-22 some days.

·
Registered
971 Posts
The 9mm ejector extends further to the centerline of the pistol than does a .45 acp. The 9mm case is smaller in diameter so the ejector has to extend inward so the 9mm case will hit it.. With the Kart unit you can discard the ejector entirely. I don't know about the other units. I would ask the manufacturer to make sure of the fitment.
The Nelson and the Marvel are accurate enough for Bullseye competition. In fact the national champion for the last 2 years uses a Marvel. I like the Nelson a little better in that the slide locks back after the last round. Some of the Marvel's it does not. The AA and Kimber are not used in Bullseye.

·
Premium Member
8,283 Posts
Ceiner is good as a rf action gun - once it is tuned right. Buy an extra firing pin, extra magazine springs and an assortment of low force mainsprings. When you find the mainspring which works best, buy a couple extra, you will need them. I wore out one Platinum Cup, on my second one now. They won’t group as well as the Nelson, Marvel or Kart. I agree, make a decicated gun using one of the precision conversion units or a Ruger bull barrel Mark series pistol. Mk II’s were very good. Put a Volquartsen hammer and trigger in it, get a set of. grips which fit you, run the irons or use a no gunsmith mount with a good dot, and hunt X’s.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Hi all,

Which conversion kits fit a RIA FS 9mm 1911 ? I've heard that Nelson, Marvel, and Kart are cream of the crop, but will any of these fit? How about Advantage Arms, and is AA good enough for Precision Bullseye Shooting?

Im just getting into 22 Bullseye and it gives me the excuse to buy a 22 conversion kit for my 9mm RIA if I can find one that is both accurate enough, and that fits.

Of course I could just buy a whole new 22 for this purpose, but I thought the possibility was worth exploring..

Any and all input appreciated !

Lain
If I needed a 22lr. Id buy this befor a conversion in a heartbeat.
Todays special. Unfortunately already out of stock.
GrabAGun.com
Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Blued .22 LR 5.5-inch 10Rds
$349
Sale $289

·
Registered
23 Posts
The point being missed by some here is that no dedicated 22 is going to feel like a 1911 if you intend to use it as a trainer/cheaper practice. Yes, I know the recoil is different between 9 and 22 but (with the Kimber conversion at least) the mags fit in the same pouches, the gun fits the same holster so if you are practicing say for USPSA you only need 1 rig. The mags feel pretty close to the same (close enough) that reloads are doable, try doing USPSA reloads with a Ruger Mark series... after you buy a complete new rig for it...

Just my opinion respectfully submitted.

Sean

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,283 Posts
There was no mention of it needing to be a 1911 configuration pistol in the OP. Others and myself gave input accordingly. A set of grips will bring a Mark series Ruger to more of a 1911 character. It will come down to the OP’s exploration and consideration.

·
Premium Member
8,283 Posts
No problemo.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey everyone, sorry to ressurect an old thread. I am planning on getting a conversion for my RIA GI in 38 super. And looking at a kit by Advantage Arms. If I file down the ejector will it still work in 38 super/9mm?
thanks!

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
How did it not fit ? More details as to what the fitting problem was.

Edit : Sorry, I didn’t realize that this thread was from the land of the undead....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts