1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying a .22 conversion from Wilson for my CQB and I was wondering if any of you have used it and how you like it. Also does anybody a a good picture of the adjustable sight model compared to a standard sight model and can you put night sights on it?
Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
346 Posts
I chose not to put a conversion on my CQB.

Looking at how perfect my frame and slide fit.......I just feel some hesitation about slapping on another slide.

I would rather have a dedicated .22 1911, and thought about building one.....until Kimber released their "Rimfire 1911" which I shoot quite often, and recommend.

I've read where people had good things to say about using conversions on their Wilsons.....just not for me.

Good luck.

·
Banned
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I called Wilson today and asked them if there would be any chance of damage to the frame with the conversion installed and they said no. I have never seen one in person but I think they are made of aluminum so that should not damage the frame. Also I was wondering how the top of the line Marvel conversion compares to the Wilson conversion?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I put a Marvel Type II (also called the "practical") on my CQB. I really like mine, although if I had to do it again, I would probably spend the extra cash and get the insanely accurate Type I. The only thing you have to watch out for with the Type I is that it doesn't fit in many holsters.

The practical is accurate enough for my needs (as accurate as I can shoot at 45 feet).

I got it to help save $$, while still allowing me to work on technique and trigger pull with my CQB. Seeing how .22 ammo is .02 cents a shot, compared with .20 cents for Walley World Winchester ammo, I calculated a 6 month break-even on the purchase, plus a savings of about $1000 a year after that (assuming I still shoot a couple of mags of .45 each shooting session).

I have no worries about damaging the frame, simply becase the 22 conversion slide is aluminum alloy, while the frame is steel.

The only problem I've had with mine is that that it's pretty particular about ammo. All conversion's that I know of need high velocity ammo, some of which work better than others. Marvel suggests Remmington. I've had some FTF's (nosedives) in the beginning. It rarely happens now after about 500 rounds. The FTF's tended to happen more with one mag than the other, so it could be that one mags had a problem.

·
Banned
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After doing a lot of research I purchased a Marvel unit 1 today. It came with a 5 shot group that measured .835 at 50 yards. I was able to shoot a 1.5 inch group at 50 yards with CCI standard velocity rounds. It did not malfunction at all with these rounds but I did have problems with bulk Remington hollow points from Wal-mart, the slide would not fully close with some of the rounds. I plan on shooting 20,000 rounds a year through it so that should really improve my .45 shooting. Also I was wondering if anybody has had tritium installed on the adjustable sight on the Marvel?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts