1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search and really only found about longer replacement springs . So I ordered a Wilson combat heavy duty recoil spring 1911 government 22 pounder to try in place of the 20 lb for my RIA ultra fs and it’s shorter than the original. Can I use the shorter spring with no worries ? Thanks in advanced guys .

·
Premium Member
14,762 Posts
It does appear to be a stronger spring as the wire appears to be larger, I check with a spring scale at the compressed length of full recoil. I would suggest feeling the slide before changing, and then after, you should be able to at least sense its comparative strength.

LOG

Reactions: RobClarke

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It does appear to be a stronger spring as the wire appears to be larger, I check with a spring scale at the compressed length of full recoil. I would suggest feeling the slide before changing, and then after, you should be able to at least sense its comparative strength.

LOG
Yes the coils are definitely thicker on the 22 lb spring , and I did install it and the slide did run ok by hand and maybe a bit harder. I just was surprised to see the length difference .

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Standard 5 inch barrel , 10mm ..
My son has one of these. We experimented with swapping springs all the way up to a 34lb mainspring (hammer spring) and a 28lb recoil spring to slow down the rearward velocity of the slide in an attempt to prevent empty brass from going into low Earth orbit. We finally settled on a flat bottom EGW firing pin stop, a 20lb recoil spring, and a 25lb mainspring. No matter what combination of springs we could not get full power brass to land in close proximity to the firing position.

The pistol is a beast and hasn't missed a beat since he got it. He carries it during his hiking , biking, and hunting adventures in the Rocky Mountains around Kalispell, MT.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I concur with the heavy springs and 10mm brass still not being in a reasonable radius lol
I shoot a RIA mid/Commander size with 180gr hand loads and that brass did indeed go in to low earth orbit and 10mm is too pricey to lose.
Interesting the length. We used to in my armory days measure the M9 springs and once they hit a specified length we'd replace them, but I digress.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My son has one of these. We experimented with swapping springs all the way up to a 34lb mainspring (hammer spring) and a 28lb recoil spring to slow down the rearward velocity of the slide in an attempt to prevent empty brass from going into low Earth orbit. We finally settled on a flat bottom EGW firing pin stop, a 20lb recoil spring, and a 25lb mainspring. No matter what combination of springs we could not get full power brass to land in close proximity to the firing position.

The pistol is a beast and hasn't missed a beat since he got it. He carries it during his hiking , biking, and hunting adventures in the Rocky Mountains around Kalispell, MT.
Good to know , I did install a egw flat bottom f/p retainer and that has helped. But now my concern is do I have to get replacement springs directly from RIA when the stockers wear out ?

·
Premium Member
15,876 Posts
Heavier-gauge wire and wound for more coils per inch than the other spring, it has to be shorter to avoid spring stacking. However, check for this. On a standard 'G.I.' recoil set-up (short recoil spring guide and regular spring cap), Lock the slide back, then hold it back that extra small amount. push on the recoil spring cap with a wood dowel or other non-marring object. If the spring cap moves at all, the spring is not stacked. If it doesn't move, the spring is stacked.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I agree with Steve. I ONLY use Wolff springs. Just so happens they are located within a few miles from me :)

In any case, the length is not a concern, as long as the spring is from a reputable source. A 1911 is already under heavy preload tension. Therefore, Spring Rate is constant, dependent on details of the spring via #coils & wire thickness.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree with the folks above, it should be ok to run the shorter spring. Although it's shorter I still count 29 coil loops on the shorter spring versus 31 coil loops on the longer one but as you've mentioned, and it can be seen in the picture, the shorter spring has thicker wire so it'll have a higher K-value. As long as it doesn't stack, like 1saxman said you should be fine.
Let us know how it works out.

·
Premium Member
8,665 Posts
I used up to a 28 pound mainspring in my 5” 10mm 1911with a 20 pound recoil spring.. The brassand tails on the primer strikes were still there. There wasn’t appreciable difference between the 26 and 28 pound mainspring so I reinstalled the 26 pounder. Brass being thrown as far as it is gives credence to the power of the cartridge exceeds to original design parameter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well made it to the range and the shorter 22 lb spring worked perfect, 50 rounds with no problems . Thanks all .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts