1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well since im a huge .22 fan (as much for the price as for the fun of it), I am going to first purchase a .22 upper for my Stag Lower, so my next question for the public, ignoring the $800 uppers, what do y'all think about the DPMS, or the CZ .22 uppers? Does anyone have experience with any .22 uppers (not the ciener kits btw) and can offer some preference?

Please lets try to stay away from the "practicing with .22s dont work so dont waste the money" since im in college and looking for an affordable way to shoot and practice i believe its a practical way to go about it.

I am mostly concerned with the fit and durability of the upper, also on my mind is the accuracy of the part. I am really looking forward to running bricks through an AR. And for the record im building the .223 upper from the ground up except for the bolt and carrier.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I have an Atchisson kit--it replaces the bolt and magazine. These and the Ciener kits use the existing .223/5.56 barrel. My kit works great in a Colt SP1 with a 1-in-12" twist soda-straw barrel. Frankly, I haven't tried it in guns with 1-in-7" and 1-in-9" barrels, so I can't speak to whether those faster twists would have any detrimental effect.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dedicated Upper

I was told that you could "safely" fire a .22 from a .223 barrel given the proper bolt carrier and mag... however i was told that the rifle twist and overall size of the barrel was detrimental to the accuracy and fouled up the barrel with excess lead deposits and also caused it to pit heavily with continued use.... So given the possibility and the logic provided, (and given the consensus on heavy deposits on the barrel with .22 use) I think im going to go with a .22 upper. Better accuracy, better wear and tear (i hope), and less ammo cost for moderate practice... Several manufactures produce a dedicated upper, Ciener would not be included, does anyone have a current list of these and a real shooters review for this "mystic" item? Its funny that it seems like everyone has seen or heard about a .22 upper but for some reason its difficult to find a practical review over it...

·
Super Moderator
13,559 Posts
Spike's Tactical make a dedicated upper for .22LR. Many folks at the m4carbine forum swear by them. A friend of mine just got his so he hasn't had a chance to put too many rounds in it yet. I hope to be able to shoot it side by side with my fairly new Atchisson/Ciener kit. I love my Ciener kit, it's reliable and accurate enough in my 1:9 barrel. I'm able to do 2-3" groups offhand at 35yds with stock RRA trigger. Being able to shoot 500 rounds for less than $10 is good enough reason for me to use this kit.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Ditto on the Spikes upper, it has the proper twist and are more accurate than the bolt kits. It's all in the twist, and actually proper bore size. If you want a tack driver go for a complete upper, if 2 to 4" groups are good for you go after one of the kits. As for leading, just shoot several .223 after every 100 rounds or so to help blow out any excess build up.

My next upper and Xmas gift will be the Spike's upper, if you shoot a lot this upper can pay for itself in just a few months.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Carbine995, I built all my uppers myself

I've been swapping the Ciener .22LR bolt/carrier in and out of four different uppers for over 10 years. I've discharged tens of thousands of rimfire in that time. I get no pitting, no leading with copper plated bullets, tiny lead deposits near the chamber with plain lead bullets. The stories of pitting and leading are fabrications or exaggerations. Lead and powder residue clean up with normal patch and solvent. One barrel is Wilson 24" bull, one is Colt M4 profile, one is 20" from J & T, one is unmarked generic 16".

Accuracy with 1:8 twist: I get the same size groups at 50 yards with .22lr and .223/5.56. The rimfire yields somewhat larger groups at 100 yards, although the 24" is better than the shorter barrels. Beyond 100 yards the rimfire just can't keep up with the centerfire.

One note about conversions: You may consider removing the gas tube if you shoot rimfire exclusively. It helps keep residue out of the action.

One note about the Ciener conversion: If I don't keep it clean, it fails to extract and sometimes doesn't go into battery fully. Clean and lube, it runs fine. Depending upon the brand of ammo, it takes a couple thousand rounds to get dirty enough to affect performance.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
My daughter's AR uses a Ceiner conversion, it works great. I see no reason to have a dedicated upper for 22LR.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts