1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like a number of manufacturers are offering 1911s that come from the factory as .22s. Anyone have any experience with these? I already have a .22 top end (sold by Kimber) but don't like giving up one of the 45s to use it. Would it be reasonable to by a low priced 45 to dedicate to the very accurate 22 top end? Pros? Cons?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I have one of the first GSG 1911's. Other than the broken bushing and magazine follower redesign, it has been very reliable over the 1,000's of rounds I have shot out of it. It's not a target gun, but is a fun plinker.

·
Registered
12,457 Posts
I'll be brief because I have no owner experience with such a .22 chambered 1911-style.

When I've looked at such guns, I've found that their "inner workings" are so markedly different from a real 1911 (especially slide/barrel components), that I've been persuaded that they cannot leave me with a good feeling ... i.e., it has been altered so much that, to me, it merely has a superficial appearance similarity to a 1911.

A Ruger Mark III (or, if you can find one, a Mark II or Mark I), which is built around the .22 cartridge appears, to my thinking, to be a better selection for a 1911 enthusiast who occasionally wishes to shoot a .22 semi-auto on the range. Added: The weight of some versions of the Mark III is essentially the same as the weight of a typical steel-framed 1911, and the grip profile (for several versions) is not that different from a 1911.

Some others will have a different opinion ... and their opinions are just as worthy as mine, as this subject is all about opinions.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I have a Colt (Walther) 1911-22 - got a couple thousand rounds through it, and I'm happy with it. Couple of little quirks - doesn't like cheap lead ammo - runs best on copper jacketed quality .22 ammo - I generally use CCI...

Other than that, very nice gun. Price was comparable to a Top End kit, so I have 2 guns instead of 1 1/2 :)

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I already have a .22 top end (sold by Kimber) but don't like giving up one of the 45s to use it. Would it be reasonable to by a low priced 45 to dedicate to the very accurate 22 top end? Pros? Cons?
That's how it starts... you buy a .22 conversion top end to shoot more, but then you get the itch for it to have its own frame. So you build/buy a dedicated frame, get a nice trigger job, add a few nice parts...

Either embrace the suck or walk away right now while you still can.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I went with a dedicated 22, also a GSG as it mimics the controls of the 1911 and fits in the same leather. Other than the fact that you need a tool to break it down I like it just fine, though I intend to look real close at the Walther-Colt when (if) it becomes available in the peoples republic of California.

·
Registered
6,648 Posts
I've got Kimber's Rimfire Target and I like it. I've had it since 2007 and I've lost count on the number of rounds that have been sent down range with it.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
You may consider just buying a complete lower and make yourself a dedicated .22 1911 pistol with your Kimber kit.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Probably embracing!!!
Its an itch. Scratch it!

I did. In my case it was with a Marvel Unit 1. Initially I paired it up with the frame of my STI Trojan .45acp for a few months, then towards the end of last summer I bought a stripped STI 1911 frame from Brownells, added a few parts that I had in the parts bin and now I have a complete 1911-22. Shot it today in a Ruger Rimfire Match.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I have a Kimber Rimfire pistol, a Colt Ace, and 3 conversion tops. All have their pros and cons. While the rimfire pistol is nice, it's too light in my hand. The Ace is great, but a pain to keep that floating chamber clean. The top ends run on several different frames. I like that I can get a lot more use out of frames that I really like. I switch several frames out to run either .45 or .22 fairly often. But I do like having a dedicated steel framed 1911/22 to run.

The 1911 is just a great shooting platform. I have a lot of 22 target pistols, but I shoot my 1911/22s just as often.

dakotaTex

·
Registered
960 Posts
There is another thread with almost the same concept. The big difference is this one asks about a dedicated .22lr 1911. If you are buying a GSG, or some other such dedicated .22lr 1911, then I recommend the dedicated 1911 in .22lr. If money is no object, Nighthawk sells a dedicated .22lr 1911. So does Kimber. I'm sure there are others as well.

I will say the times I've 'dropped the hammer' on a GSG 1911 [with my pinky to catch the hammer so I don't ruin someones firing pin], I was very unhappy with the sear/hammer feel. Too gritty and not crisp enough.

I have 2 .22lr handguns [22/45 and revolver].

I have 2 .22lr top end/conversion kits [one for BHP and one is Nighthawk Custom for 1911].

I got tired of swapping the conversion top end back and forth, and finally found a frame to convert my conversion top end into a dedicated 1911.

I think I spent around $1000 on all of it when everything is said/done: Nighthawk Custom top end with spare mags and then a complete lower build.

Today I tried it for the first time. It was a function test day. It functioned GREAT!!!! Next time I will be working on group sizes and will begin to adjust the sights. It grouped well enough for today, but my 22/45 groups tighter.

Keep in mind my 1911 in .22lr is set with a trigger pull of around 5#, so that it mimics the trigger pull and the crispness of the trigger break of my other 'carry/defense' 1911s. My 22/45 is a trigger pull of around 2.25#.

I don't think I could be personally happy with the GSG, or other dedicated .22lr 1911s, from what they've felt like in my hand. But that is ME.

For the money, the GSG is a GREAT value. If I didn't have ANY .22lr handguns, that would be one I'd consider. I haven't seen any others to hold except the 2/3 sized 1911 in .22lr [Remington? Browning? too small, whatever it was]. I don't know anything about other options.

But, I am VERY pleased with my Nighthawk Custom top end. And I now have a .22lr 1911 that is half the price of the dedicated Nighthawk Custom .22lr 1911, but has the same top end.

I decided not to buy the less expensive Kimber [and others of similar price point] conversion top ends for one main reason: quality. I am NOT knocking Kimber. What I am referring to is that I didn't want to spend as much for a conversion top end as for a new 22/45 [or GSG 1911, or some others], when the conversion top end would probably not group any better than the 22/45 I already own [and might group worse].

I decided to save and get a higher quality conversion top end, that had better accuracy potential [and a LSHO feature], so that the 1911 conversion I shoot feels like more than just a side-step in terms of quality/accuracy.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's how it starts... you buy a .22 conversion top end to shoot more, but then you get the itch for it to have its own frame. So you build/buy a dedicated frame, get a nice trigger job, add a few nice parts...

Either embrace the suck or walk away right now while you still can.
As I embrace the concept of having a dedicated frame for my Kimber (Ceiner) top end any suggestions on a good value in a frame that I can tinker with?

·
Registered
618 Posts
I love my GSG1911. I mean, what's not to love? It's cheap (back when I bought mine they were just under $300), it's pretty accurate (let's call it 3" at 15 yrds), it runs cheap bulk Federal and most everything else without complaining (well over 8K rounds through mine), it emulates a 1911 quite well (with several parts actually interchanging), and it's threaded for a suppressor!

But it is nothing compared to my Nelson Custom/Marvel conversion upper. That thing will put the eyes out of a gnat. Oh, and it's threaded, too :)

·
Registered
960 Posts
As I embrace the concept of having a dedicated frame for my Kimber (Ceiner) top end any suggestions on a good value in a frame that I can tinker with?
What state are you in?

In California, no frames are allowed to be shipped in. I don't know about other states.

A while ago [4 months?] sarcoinc had RIA frames for sale through their webstore. That is something like e-sarcoincdotcom, or something. Look it up.

For a 'foolin around' frame, $200-ish sounds nice.

If you are serious: then look at Caspian, Wilson Combat, Les Baer [and keep moving up?].

For not much more than the RIA frame a Caspian can be had. Both are cast frames. As you move up, you move into forged frames.

It all depends on where you live and how much you want to spend.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
STI is what I used. $204 for a standard frame: http://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...911-auto-single-stack-receiver-prod26593.aspx

Its stripped, so you'll need:
Trigger
Mag catch
MSH
Pin kit
Sear, Hammer, hammer pin, and strut
Sear spring
Detent plunger tube
Detent and spring
Thumb Safety
Grip Safety
Grip screws and bushing
Grips

Another option is to purchase a cheap 1911 (Citadel, RIA...) and sell the top end (or keep it) and use the frame for your .22 conversion. It would probably end up being cheaper than building a lower, but the advantage of building the lower from parts is you can spec the exact parts you want.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts