1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
the mini 14 handles what little recoil the 223 cartridge has well. very easy to follow up quickly.

------------------
Nothing like the smell of Breakfree to make my day complete.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you're getting something in .223, then please get an AR variety.

My best bud had a Mini-14. That thing was worthless.

He's since switched to a Bushy.

Phil

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
Originally posted by python1340:
Worthless how? Be specific.

I wouldn't say my mini-14 is worthless, but they are not known for their accuracy.My AR types definetely out shoot my mini-14

[This message has been edited by eljay45 (edited 11-28-2001).]

·
Registered
226 Posts
Every mini-14 I've seen (3 or 4) has jammed frequently. I saw one guy who had to hold his magazine into the mag well while shooting to get it to feed right. They point well and handle nice, but the mags just suck. If you are in cali, get a M1 Carbine or a M1A. you can still get ARs via person-to-person, right? Maybe you can save up for one of those. Are SKSs still legal there? Man, what a horrible place to live. Even the numerous starlet-wannabes you can pick up wouldn't make it worthwhile. LAter.

·
Registered
550 Posts
The .223 does not have any significant recoil no matter what you shoot it in.

The Mini-14 does quite well with decent magazines. If you buy junk magazines, any rifle will jam, and there are a lot of junk "high capacity" magazines available.

My Mini-14 went through a three-day carbine course without any malfunction and had no trouble beating the AR's. In realistic carbine activity, the typical 3-4 minute of angle accuracy of the Mini is more than enough.

My flattop AR with Aimpoint sight is the recommended latest and greatest, I suppose, but I do just as well with the Mini-14.

And for the difference in price, you can buy several cases of ammo and go to a good carbine course. That will make a lot more difference than which firestick you are toten'.

·
Registered
251 Posts
original 55 gr mil ammo at 3300 fps had 3 ft lb recoil energy - instructors put butt on chin and fired the rifle with no damage [groin too], 80 gr at 2600 or so has about 9 - 12 ftlb energy; 30/06 173 gr at 2600 has 30

·
Registered
287 Posts
I own a Mini-14 and Bushmaster AR type. Don't buy into the B.S. that Ruger Mini-14's are junk. Whoever says that these rifles are junk spends too much time reading gun rags, listening to so-called "experts", and worst of all too much time typing about guns on the internet rather that shooting them.

It is true that most problems encountered with Mini-14's are poor magazines. An easy enough fix if you buy quality magazines. The top gun at the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy Open Sight Rifle Instructors course this past fall was shooting a Mini-14. His shooting skill went above and beyond those using AR-15 type rifles.

As mentioned above, any rifle will malfunction with shoddy magazines. So will a dirty rifle. In my experience, most malfunctions I have seen are because shooters do not clean their weapons properly.

Those who bad-mouth the Mini's have obviously never owned one. They have all "seen" it happen or a "buddy" they know had it happen to them. Do I favor my Mini over my Bushy? Heck no, I paid over twice as much for the Bushy. I just get tired of internet gun "experts" spreading falsehoods.

good shootin', gunny

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well thanks for the info about the AR thing in CA. it is a registered "assualt weapon" so if you have one you cannot sell it in this state.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Gunny has it right.

One thing to add: the AR is a lot more likely to malfunction when dirty or under-lubricated than a Mini-14. The AR is particularly finicky about lubrication; the Mini-14 doesn't care.

G

·
I disagree with Gunny. Had one and will never have another. Never had any feed problems, but it was darn lucky to keep a 7 inch group at 100 yards. The barrels are to skinny in my opinion. Might be OK for plinking, but that is about it. Not worth the money in my opinion.

By the way aren't you pretty much doing what you said you were tired of other people doing? Just a thought.

[This message has been edited by MarkW (edited 11-28-2001).]

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I've owned a Mini-14 Range rifle (w/ built-in recoil buffer....Range version) and have been extremely pleased with it. I wouldn't call it recoil; more like a light push.

I don't recall ever having it jam once.

I also don't own a AR but would love to so I could compare the two!

·
Registered
284 Posts
On the chin? No kidding?

That's a cute trick. I'll try to dare one of my buddies to try that

My observations are that recoil is very subjective from person to person, and from day to day.
All things being equal, the .223 doesn't recoil much in comparison to other rifles, obviously.
Whatever you have train w/ it as much as possible and you will do the best you can.

I favor the .223 because it is lighter, and a better unisex weapon.

Too, observe others shooting the weapon, see how much it recoils on them. This will give you a good idea (and let you see that most common combat weapons simply are not going to kick hard enough to bother you).

Follow up shots?
Uh, yeah, pretty quick. (I think the .223 carbine is a good home defense weapon, if that is what you are after)

[This message has been edited by elsworth (edited 11-29-2001).]

·
Registered
591 Posts
The AR finicky about lubrication? Huh? I've run my AR15s dry, with no lubrication at all. I've run them with grease in the upper. I've run them with oil in the upper. I've never had a stoppage.

You do have to clean ARs more often, due to the silly piston-less design. But I've never seen one get finicky due to over or under lubrication.

Regarding Mini-14s, they are generally only so-so in the accuracy department. As others have mentioned, there are a lot of junk mini-14 mags out there that don't work very well. With good mags, it's a reliable little rifle. Just don't expect moa accuracy out of it.

M1911

1 - 16 of 16 Posts