1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting some 223 tracer bullets real cheap. Most of them won't light and I don't want them to light, I'm just looking for cheap plinking ammo. Does anybody know how to remove or disable the tracer compound?
Rusty

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I was reading your post and got curious as to how tracer ammo works? So, I looked it up, so the following is from another sight, and from reading this, it doesn't look like you can "disable" the tracer aspect of the ammunition, not in any way reasonable that I can see. Anyhow, heres what I found. Whatcha know, I learned something.

A tracer bullet is made by filling a hollowed out area in its base with phosphorus or magnesium. When fired, the gunpowder explosion ignites the material; as the bullet travels, it leaves behind a bright glow, smoke, or both. Barium salts are used in some ammunition as well, and these glow green.

Some specially-designed bullets only begin to glow (or glow at full strength) after they have traveled some distance. This allows the shooter to see how close he is to the target, without the enemy using the tracer to pinpoint him as the source.

Often, in addition to being used for accuracy, tracers are placed at the bottom of a clip so that you know when you're almost empty.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I have decided to use the tracers for my winter ammo and use something else in the summer.
Rusty

·
Registered
120 Posts
Rusty, if I were you, I'd try washing a few in soap and water or something. I really don't know what'd work. You might try posting this on the AR15 forum. I'm sure there's a lot more "exposure" to .223/5.56 rounds there.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rusty, if I were you, I'd try washing a few in soap and water or something. I really don't know what'd work. You might try posting this on the AR15 forum. I'm sure there's a lot more "exposure" to .223/5.56 rounds there.
A friend of mine soaked some for 24 hours in water and limeaway and they still lit. Thanks for the AR15 forum reminder. I didn't think of that.
Rusty

·
Registered
12 Posts
tracers

the important thing is to make sure that when you shoot your tracers that there is no dry grass around. trust me on this one. i still catch hell from a firefighter buddy of mine for burning his pasture.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I got a bunch of those and have been shooting them. One thing you can do to reduce ignition is to use a ball type powder. It has been sadi that the ball powders don't light the tracers as well as stick type powder. I have been loading mine with Accurate 2200 (I got it a while ago) and I have very few tracers light. The other thing I noticed about the 20% tracers is they don't seem to burn for very long and are buring out as they hit the backstop. I have shot up over 1K of them and haven't started a fire yet.

Neal in AZ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts