1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about ordering 500 or so 225 gr truncated cone flat point bullets from Missouri Bullet Co. I was just wondering how they worked ? I've only been shooting for a year, ever since I got my SR1911 45acp. All I have shot out of it is the 230 gr softball or factory 230gr fmj's. I use 5.7 gr of Unique with the softballs and they shoot good. The 225 TRC bullets look like they would hit hard with that flat nose, maybe even hard enough to kill a hog. My question is, how do they function in most 1911's and are they fairly accutate ?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I cast a 230 truncated cone and my 1911s and other buddies 1911s like them, as accurate as I am, feed and function fine. It is also my preferred bullet for bowling pin shoots. I use 5.3GS of unique.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I was thinking about ordering 500 or so 225 gr truncated cone flat point bullets from Missouri Bullet Co. I was just wondering how they worked ? I've only been shooting for a year, ever since I got my SR1911 45acp. All I have shot out of it is the 230 gr softball or factory 230gr fmj's. I use 5.7 gr of Unique with the softballs and they shoot good. The 225 TRC bullets look like they would hit hard with that flat nose, maybe even hard enough to kill a hog. My question is, how do they function in most 1911's and are they fairly accutate ?
If you like the 230LRN you'll probably like the LTCs. They'll take a bit less propellant for the same velocity.

·
Registered
826 Posts
The last batch I used were from Bear Creek and Berger. They shot well and from what I remember I used 5.0 to 5.3 gr of 231.

They do perform well on bowling pins. I had very good results with that flat.point.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I have used the 225gr TC from Missouri Bullets and they work fine in all my .45 ACP 1911s. They are very accurate in my pistols.

·
Registered
15,317 Posts
Some guns will find them problematic in feed reliability; recommend 230g LRN (from Penn Bullets).

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I have used the 225 gr. TC bullets for quite a while with just a minor problem. My Springfield Range Officer has a short throat so the oal needed to be 1.195 +/- a little bit. I had used a box of them and they had the blue lube on them with no problems. I got one box that had red lube of them and found that not only does the Range Officer have a short throat but the chamber is really tight as well. all of a sudden it wasn't locking up so after some measuring I found the bullets were getting up to .454 in diameter. I sent Missouri Bullets an e-mail and they replaced them at no charge. I bought a Lee .452 lead bullet sizer and I size the all of the bullets now even thought they might not now be a problem. it ain't a lot of fun chamber checking 700 rounds one at a time looking for bad ones. like I said this is all problems that I had with the Range Officer. I had a Kimber SST Compact and a S & W 1911 and don't know if they would have had the same problem and I suspect they would have worked just fine. I should also point out that all of the bullets have had blue lube on them except the one box. Missouri Bullets does a good job overall on their bullets at a good price.

·
Registered
26 Posts
They have worked well for me in all of my 1911's. Accuracy is better than I can shoot and they knock down steel with ease.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys, I just ordered 1500 of the 225 Flatheads to try. I'm using 5.8 gr. Unique powder with the softballs, and shoot heavy steel plate targets. Should I up my powder charge, or keep the powder charge where it is to keep the same amount of ft/lbs at the target so they will go down ?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I used 5.5 grains of Unique but after trying 6 grains I might switch to it because for some reason the cases seem to fall into a smaller and easier to find pile

1 - 10 of 10 Posts