1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
I'm an admitted .22LR ammo snob; I'm a huge fan of CCIs Segmented subsonics at 1050fps. Since the bulk of my 22 shooting is suppressed, I like the consistency, reliability, and function in my 10/22s and MK III.

I haven't been able to find this stuff for about 3 years, since the Newton panic. I've complained about it, lamented over it, even offered a finders fee... to no avail. I was starting to think that they hadn't done a production run in years...

Today I ran into a local shop (one that rarely frequent as they tend to be expensive) to pick up a CMC 10 round .45 magazine. While I was checking out, I noticed a good selection of .22, including STACKS of my beloved CCI Segmented Subsonics! The clerk said they had established a good connection for CCI ammo of all flavors, and supply wasn't an issue at present. When I asked for 2 bricks to replenish my dangerously low stock, she didn't bat an eye, and even discounted it a little. Its not inexpensive, at $8 a box, but is it available.

·
Registered
14,933 Posts
Sounds like expensive "snobbish" ammo, to me. ;) I get great results with Gemtech and "regular" CCI subsonics.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I too am a rimfire snob admittedly. I've been after some of the elusive CCI segmented subsonic for a number of years. I recently walked into a new shop here in middle Ga and had the exact same experience. Except to my surprise it was only 5.99 box or 49.99 a brick. Yeah I did what I'd sworn I'd never do, I bought every dammed box they had. Did I feel guilty? Oh course I did, but my inner rimfire nerd was happy happy happy! :rock::rock:

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I too am a rimfire snob admittedly. I've been after some of the elusive CCI segmented subsonic for a number of years. I recently walked into a new shop here in middle Ga and had the exact same experience. Except to my surprise it was only 5.99 box or 49.99 a brick. Yeah I did what I'd sworn I'd never do, I bought every dammed box they had. Did I feel guilty? Oh course I did, but my inner rimfire nerd was happy happy happy! :rock::rock:
Why feel guilty? $5.99 is pre Newton pricing; I'd buy as much as I could get my hands on at that price.

Sounds like expensive "snobbish" ammo, to me. I get great results with Gemtech and "regular" CCI subsonics.
Walter, I do use CCI LRN subsonics (or whatever else I can find) for plinking and punching paper on occasion, but the vast majority of my .22 shooting is at turtles, beavers, bobcats, squirrels, possums, coyotes, feral dogs and other pests; I need a bullet that both has very good terminal performance on living targets and comes apart on impact with anything in the event of a miss. While I live in a rural area, most of the holdings are small and I don't want a ricochet to hit anything unintended. The segmented bullets come apart separate on contact, and quickly lose energy- they won't bounce and fly for a mile.

·
Registered
14,933 Posts
Why feel guilty? $5.99 is pre Newton pricing; I'd buy as much as I could get my hands on at that price.

Walter, I do use CCI LRN subsonics (or whatever else I can find) for plinking and punching paper on occasion, but the vast majority of my .22 shooting is at turtles, beavers, bobcats, squirrels, possums, coyotes, feral dogs and other pests; I need a bullet that both has very good terminal performance on living targets and comes apart on impact with anything in the event of a miss. While I live in a rural area, most of the holdings are small and I don't want a ricochet to hit anything unintended. The segmented bullets come apart separate on contact, and quickly lose energy- they won't bounce and fly for a mile.
I appreciate the clarification. All my .22 shooting is done at inanimate targets. I'd become bored with rimfire some time ago...until I gave my pristine 3rd Series Woodsman to my youngest son. As luck would have it, I spotted a 22/45 at a range/gun shop in Atlanta the next day and just had to buy it. Next, of course, came the can(s). :)

Even though I live "in town" down heah on Tobaccy Road, I spotted a large rattlesnake near my carport one day last year. Instead of killing it with a shovel or just letting it escape, I ran inside and retrieved my 22/45, which is equipped with both a laser and TRS-25 red dot. I was shooting lead solids and actually couldn't tell whether I was hitting the snake or not. It crawled off under some bushes, and I don't know whether I mortally wounded it or not.

I've been paying as much as $50 a brick occasionally, but detest paying that much for .22 ammo.

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No worries, and not a chance in hell I'd drop $60+/brick on MK I/MOD 0, run of the mill .22LR. I remember pulling targets, picking up trash, and cutting grass at the gun club as a kid to earn 'credit' to buy .22 ammo to shoot; the club shop sold them for between $0.25 and $0.99 a box, depending on the type... those days are long gone.

A specialty ammunition for a specific purpose is another matter. I actually tried Remington subsonic HP as a 'replacement'; picked them up for $30/brick right after Newton- I bought tons of this crap. Its inconsistent, some is super sonic, some is so slow it won't cycle, its inaccurate, and while it may expand, it also ricochets, particularly off the water when killing turtles in the ponds (the damned things breed like rabbits and eat my fish, I kill a couple hundred a year). Yes, shooting at the water is not the most prudent thing to do; that's why I ONLY use the segmented subsonics for this task. Try as I might- and I did TRY to get them to ricochet off the water- I couldn't.

Suppressed .22 is loads of fun. The wife and I can sit on the porch, relax, and plink at steel poppers with our morning coffee, its great for when kids visit, puts the occasional squirrel or rabbit in the pot, and keeps the pests under control...

·
Premium Member
5,367 Posts
I just bought a Browning 1911-22 suppressor ready pistol and it really loves the heavier/slower bullet. If I can find any CCI subs I will try them in it.

·
Registered
27,699 Posts
I'm a little bit of a .22 ammo snob myself.

I have a Marvel #1 conversion Unit and a S&W 41.
Both work extremely well with CCI Standard Velocity.
I've got over 5K of it on hand but I've been getting a little miserly with it, knowing I'd have to pay over double to replace what I have.
If it gets back down under $30 a brick, I'm stocking up...as in a lifetime supply.

·
Registered
14,933 Posts
I guess I'm kind of a snob, when it comes to choosing bullets for loading .300 Blackout subsonics. There are many good choices of bullets available, but I just prefer those 220gr SMKs. :)

.22 rimfire shooting is never anything but plinking for me, so I don't feel the need to spend any more than I have to for .22 ammo. However, there is some ammo that I try to avoid, mainly Remmy subsonics...really dirty and inconsistent.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
When I saw the ammo snob thread I expected to see fellow Bullseye Shooters (NRA Conventional Pistol) and ransom results from S&W M41, FWB AW93, Pardini SP, etc. with Eley Tenex results. At $21 per box of 50 that's snob territory to this guy, but there's no doubt there is some advantage gained if your pistol shoots it well. I just can't justify it yet.

http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx?p=ItemDetailOptions&item=A00100

·
Registered
14,933 Posts
At what point does a snob become just another dilettante? :)

·
Registered
567 Posts
Just saw some segmented in a gun shop and I passed it up. Wasn't sure what I was looking at. I won't do that again.

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What is segmented ammo?
The HP bullet is scored, so that as it expands, it peels lengthwise into 3 segments, creating 3 distinct wound channels. While it doesn't offer deep penetration, its very effective on small game and pests, raccoons, beavers, possums, rabbits, small feral dogs, and- with carful shot placement and under 50m, coyotes. Its actually a bit of overkill for squirrels...

Besides its consistency and accuracy, I like it because its 'safer' in the unlikely event of a miss. As soon as it hits anything, the bullet starts to come apart, and loses energy rapidly. There's much less chance of a ricochet than with normal HP or RN ammunition. Since much of my .22 shooting is not against an idyllic backstop but vermin, its something I take into consideration.

Given the high cost and scarcity, its not my plinking ammo; it serves a specific purpose for me.

·
Registered
14,933 Posts
The HP bullet is scored, so that as it expands, it peels lengthwise into 3 segments, creating 3 distinct wound channels. While it doesn't offer deep penetration, its very effective on small game and pests, raccoons, beavers, possums, rabbits, small feral dogs, and- with carful shot placement and under 50m, coyotes. Its actually a bit of overkill for squirrels...

Besides its consistency and accuracy, I like it because its 'safer' in the unlikely event of a miss. As soon as it hits anything, the bullet starts to come apart, and loses energy rapidly. There's much less chance of a ricochet than with normal HP or RN ammunition. Since much of my .22 shooting is not against an idyllic backstop but vermin, its something I take into consideration.

Given the high cost and scarcity, its not my plinking ammo; it serves a specific purpose for me.
There's some heavy, segmented bullets made for shooting .300 Blackout subsonically. Wound channels are devastating.

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There's some heavy, segmented bullets made for shooting .300 Blackout subsonically. Wound channels are devastating.
Very nice! Who makes those? I know Nosler was supposed to be releasing a 220gn, .30 caliber bullet specifically for subsonic loading in the .300BLK. If memory serves, it was supposed to fully expand at velocities as low as 750fps so you'd actually have good terminal performance out to about 150m, assuming 1050fps at the muzzle.

All that aside, .300BLK is even more expensive to shoot than specialty .22LR, and probably a bit of overkill for the turtles and beavers I routinely shoot....

·
Registered
23,179 Posts
I was also thinking bullseye when I read the thread title. I was sort of poor so used to have a S&W 41 but remember when you found a round it loved you would buy every box with that lot number you could find.

And 22 on a Coyote? Must be wimps there. Down here when you shoot a Coyote with a .22 it better be 223 or some other 22 centerfire.

By the way when 22 rimfire ammo was real expensive I dug out my TC Contender in .22. It was fun to spend a nice afternoon shooting less than a box of ammo.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts