1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends, I cooked up this load with quick load, reduced it and worked back up to it.
Use this at your own risk.
Factory 40 gr bullet. The same hp flat based as in factory loads, are available to purchase.
Once fired cases. All factory cases from factory ammo that failed to extract were crushed right away. I have noticed that the rim is usually different than the other cases or are longer in the neck. Usually 1 or 2 in ever box.
All cases were trimmed. 1.025
COAL 1.250
CCi standard small pistol primers were used.
Alliant Power Pistol powder.
6.6 grains. Functioned the action and cycled fine.
6.4, 6.5 did not function the action.
Hurriedly shot group of 5 in 2" at 25'. I was loosing daylight.
I will compare these to factory loads over a chronograph next chance I get.
My die set is CH and the expander is a Lee universal.
:)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Power pistol is a considerably faster burning powder than Lil' Gun and WW296/H110. So far, those powders have been the "go to" powders for the .22 TCM round.

Any signs of flattened primers or excessive pressure? Another option would be great for reloading this accurate little pistol round.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK so I really tested this load compared to factory ammo today. While it cycled fine cases fell about three feet away in a neat pile. Factory went about 6 feet.
Primers looked a hair rounder and one can tell the factory ammo had more juice and were flatter in appearance.
Report was definitely louder on the factory ammo, but one of the reasons why I was looking into this powder was getting a cleaner non flashing load so a load with this powder should sound different anyway
I used my silly chrono graph and the reloads are running under factory velocity. My paper blew away. :rolleyes:
I wasn't shooting well by the time I got around to this business. Spent 7 hours fiddle farting around and shooting in the sun.
:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts