1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New shooter here, I have been actively shooting my Ruger since last fall. Yesterday I tried Whitebox 185 gr ball, 50 round boxes. I enjoyed the lighter recoil and lower report and had consistent shooting with it. Today I went back to Federal 230 ball and was all over the paper, I quit early. My target sits on the ground and I realize I have not fully figured angles and drop.
Great fun learning, though.

Anyone know of good bulk 185 gr ball? I'd like to try more of it.

·
Administrator
73,034 Posts
185gr is a match load, hence the lower velocity and recoil. 230gr should normally be accurate as well, however if you're shooting cheap range ammo the quality may not be there causing the poor results. Match ammo should normally be more consistent regarding quality and give better accuracy.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Check out www.ammoseek.com. There are multiple brands of 185 MJ for under .40/round.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for the info.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
The 230 grain FMJ we called hardball and is basic military issue. The 185 grain JSWC (Jacketed Semi Wad Cutter) we called softball and as a reloader I could make them much cheaper than buying factory. I taught my children how to shoot my Gold Cup with that load.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts