1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are many manufacturers of standard 230 Grain FMJ for the .45 ACP. My question is: Is there any significant differences? Obviously Blazer and Wolf have other than Brass casings but are all the rest about the same as far as accuracy and reliability? Are there any brands which are just inferior?

·
Registered
541 Posts
I've tried various ammo in my WILSON COMBAT and it seems to like Fiocchi best with S&B close second.......

·
Registered
861 Posts
Zip06, I've shot Sellior and Bellot (a.k.a. "S&B"), and it works pretty well as does American Eagle (by Federal). PMC and Blazer have performed well for me, also.

I've heard that "American Ammunition" (NOT to be confused with American Eagle by Federal) is not so hot. I've picked up some of their brass, head stamped A-MERC or AMERC, and it is poor quality.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
When I got my Kimber a couple of years ago, I wrote and asked about ammo and all they told me was NOT to shoot American Ammo as doctor j noted. It is cheap, but may not be the quality you want to put through your gun and may not be terribly safe.

Are there significant differences in FMJ ammo? Other than American, there are differences, but I doubt I would call them significant in regard to practice shooting. I have shot about 7000 of Blazer and have had about 10 rounds not work (seated too deep, hard primer strike but no ignition, would not chamber). I have shot well over 10,000 of Fiocchi with no problems I can recall, but it costs a little more. I have gone through about 1500 of S&B and no problems in the .45. I have shot lesser amounts of PMC and American Eagle without any real problems that I can recall.

Do note that some guns are finicky. I believe S&B is a little longer than standard rounds. Speer and Blazer don't crimp, which supposedly can cause feeding problems. Try some of each and see what you think. Do also note which ammos you think are cleaner or dirtier. If you reload, Fiocchi is the way to go. They use nice brass and the powder burns pretty cleanly such that you can tell Fiocchi cases from other brands by looking inside the case. The Fiocchi will be cleaner.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have used mostly Magtech, PMC, and S&B for practice ammo. In my experience, the PMC is slightly hotter, but I notice the cases seem to be a bit thinner, denting easily from pressure on each other when loading rounds into a magazine.

S&B worked great, seemed like a fairly standard hardball load.

Magtech worked fine also, but seemed to be the least powerful of the three. I do not own a chronograph, this is just my subjective opinion based on felt recoil.

I didn't notice any of the three to be claener or dirtier than the other, but I usually don't go more than a few hundred rounsd without cleaning my gun.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Originally posted by doctor j:
I've heard that "American Ammunition" (NOT to be confused with American Eagle by Federal) is not so hot. I've picked up some of their brass, head stamped A-MERC or AMERC, and it is poor quality.
Wow. My experience has been exactly the opposite on both counts. I purchased a box of this stuff about two years ago. I didn't notice any accuracy problems. For the record, I don't really recall any stellar accuracy either. But mainly I wanted to take issue with you on the brass quality that you mentioned. I still have about forty of those cases (I lose a lot of brass, don't we all) and they are on par with some of the best brass I've ever encountered in .45ACP. I'd love to get 'hold of a bunch of the stuff!

The only virgin brass available locally is RP and I absolutely DESPISE those. I've resorted to buying Speer Lawman ammo and using that instead. Good brass, almost as good as A-Merc. Granted, all of my reloading has been done on a single-stage press until very recently. But I'd still estimate the repeated uses of my A-Merc brass to be quite high and they're still clucking right along. The true test, I guess, will be now that I have the Dillon. My reloading capacity just grew ten-fold. No more weighing every single charge! No more adjusting dies! No more hand priming! Whoooo Hoooo!

Callahan

·
Registered
27,692 Posts
I have a Norinco with upgrades and a Kart match barrel and a Colt 70 Series. Every now and then I will inadvertently reload an AMERC case. They always cause both guns to jam. It won't feed in either gun. I threw all my AMERC brass away. It is the only brass I have had trouble with.

------------------
"What most of these people need is a good slap upside the head. What I don't need is any more lawsuits." John "The Tooz" Matusak

·
Registered
51 Posts
Even though it's a little pricier than most "generic" 45ACP rounds, I feel that Winchester white box is the best of the lot. Federal AE, S&B, and Fiocchi are also good range ammo.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Bill, I can't believe what I'm hearing. Maybe I just ran across an excellent run. Sure, I'm basing my opinion on a single box of A-Merc ammo and brass. I guess the quality slipped BIG TIME since I picked these cases up.

I usually shoot right here at home, but there's a pistol range within comfortable driving distance. Maybe I'll go there and collect some range brass, hoping to run across a bunch of A-Merc. I'll keep them seperate from the A-Merc I currently have and compare the quality. I'll post the results.....Newer stuff vs. the old. It would be easier, of course, to just buy some American Ammo locally but I don't know where to look for it. Most suppliers around here quit carrying it. Used to see it often.

Callahan

·
Registered
83 Posts
I buy S&B by the cases and have had absolutely no problems. I also buy Georgia Arms Ammunition and it is of very good quality if you like American made ammo.://www.georgia-arms.com/ they sell all ammo new and reloaded.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I've had the best luck with ammo made by the "big three", Blount(Federal, CCI, Speer), Olin(Winchester), and Remington.

That said, I've fired over a thousand rounds of Wolf with zero problems.

FWIW, I spoke to a Wolf rep. yesterday, and he assured me that their ammo is as safe to use as brass cased ammo. Wolf ammo will not harm extractors, etc. guaranteed.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Inspector, I think Sportmans Guide out of MN used to carry American Ammo in bulk. They have a website.

[This message has been edited by Maxthemutt (edited 10-09-2001).]

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
CH said:
I've had the best luck with ammo made by the "big three", Blount(Federal, CCI, Speer), Olin(Winchester), and Remington.

That said, I've fired over a thousand rounds of Wolf with zero problems.

FWIW, I spoke to a Wolf rep. yesterday, and he assured me that their ammo is as safe to use as brass cased ammo. Wolf ammo will not harm extractors, etc. guaranteed.

I'd say that if I was the Wolf rep, too.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have had very good luck with american eagle in 45 and 223 very accurate good price and great for practice.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Inspector Callahan said:
The only virgin brass available locally is RP and I absolutely DESPISE those.
What problems are you having with RP?
I've had trouble crimping RP .38 Spl, but haven't had any problems with .45 ACP.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts