1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read in the "Accurate Smokeless Powder" Loading Guide #1 that the the .45 ACP originally "was standardized with the 230 grain bullet for the Colt Government Model 1911 pistol." What does "standardized" mean. Is that the optimum weight for a 1911?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I read in the "Accurate Smokeless Powder" Loading Guide #1 that the the .45 ACP originally "was standardized with the 230 grain bullet for the Colt Government Model 1911 pistol." What does "standardized" mean. Is that the optimum weight for a 1911?
Means that after JMB presented the Army with a 200 grain round, they told him they wanted a 230 grain round as the standard FMJ bullet for their 1911 ammo.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Correct. At the original pistol trials Colt submitted the Model 1905 pistol for evaluation by the military. In addition to a heavier bullet, the military wanted an external hammer and a positive safety device. This led to the Model 1911 pistol, which was adopted by the military.

Another note worth understanding is that the "standardized" 230 grain load is what the sights are regulated (designed) to deliver to point of aim. Many handguns with fixed sights cannot deliver lighter/higher velocity loadings to point of aim without modification to the sights. This is why I stick with 230 grain bullets in my .45ACP handguns with fixed sights.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Yes. My WWI and WWII guns shoot 230 grain round nose bullets very well (lead or jacketed) My series 80 Gold Cup prefers the 200 grain lead semi-wadcutter and Bullseye powder.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yes. My WWI and WWII guns shoot 230 grain round nose bullets very well (lead or jacketed) My series 80 Gold Cup prefers the 200 grain lead semi-wadcutter and Bullseye powder.
Mine eats anything I put into it, but the 230g shoot POA and the 200g shoot a few inches low. This is normal and is easy enough to compensate for, but I think once I run out of the 200gLSWC that I have, I am going back to 230g.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts