1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
14,933 Posts
I guess Powder Valley didn't get the message, as I have 16# of HP38 on the way right now. :)

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I have a suspicion that this will be true of a lot of the "old" technology powders that have been around for 50-100 years.

Powders like Bullseye, Unique and 2400 are being replaced with modern technology powders that are easier and cheaper to manufacturer.
These new powders have added chemicals to better control the burn rates, muzzle flash and pressure curves.

Who knows, one day we may have only one specific powder for each caliber.
Or just one powder for every caliber?

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I gave up looking for HP-38/W-231. Bought a few cans of WAP for lack of finding anything else.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I just use titegroup and N320 with great results. I have tried 231/hp38 but didn't think it was better than TG or N320.

I will be mad if they phase out 2400 though. That is my go to 357 mag powder as it doesn't require magnum primers like H110/Win 296. My guess is that the new 300-MP powder will replace 2400 if that's the case.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I'm going to have to see more than a screenshot of a message from who knows where. If it does go away eventually, no big deal. There are lots of other great powders out there. Either way, I'm glad that I have several years worth in the closet.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
As an experienced reloader I have been required to make several changes over the years due to powders and bullets being discontinued. It's a fact of life.

The truth of the matter is it forced me out of my "comfort zone", but I have found other powders that will produce similar results. It is like buying a new pair of shoes. I'm comfortable with the old ones. They are like old friends and I really don't want to go through the process of breaking in a new pair. But you know what? The new pair soon gets broken in and become my new "comfortable pair".

I have several dozen (yes actually more than 24) different powders. Are they all my favorites? No, but some day I may not be able to find or buy my favorites so I want to have the foundation lain for establishing "new favorites".

I will hate to see W231 go. I'll probably lay in a good stockpile while it can still be found. But, bottom line, when it's gone I'll just come up with a new favorite.

Grumpy

·
Registered
27,699 Posts
I've got about 18# of 231 in the cabinet. Since I switched my .40 and 9mm loads to VV N320 and only load .38 spl and .45 (both very low round counts per year, less than 500 each), it should last me a long time.

Or, I can wait until it gets short and drives the price up and replace it with more VV.

·
Super Moderator
14,627 Posts
I'm with Old Grumpy - one needs to have alternates when dealing with shortages or discontinuations of old technology powders, primers, bullets, etc. Last year one of my favorite long-time powders was discontinued, SR-4756. I have used it in shotgun loads, .380 ACP, 9mm, .38 Super, .38 Spl., .357 Mag., and .45 ACP for many years, and it has been a great performer in many aspects. Tough luck for me, I have to find newer powders, so I have been testing several for different calibers; when I find one I like, I stock up on what I think I will need for some time to come, then as I use a container or two up I reorder and replenish my supply so I don't run short on the next panic. I think Grumpy is right, it is a fact of life that things change with time.

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
"I gave up looking for HP-38/W-231. Bought a few cans of WAP for lack of finding anything else."

Wasn't WAP discontinued? Now W231? Great, another reason for hoarding!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts