1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the .25 auto is very much on the weak side, but do you think it's true that they've actually been stopped by a heavy coat?

·
Registered
538 Posts
There are well circulated urban legends about a 25 ACP being stopped by a biker jacket or barely breaking the skin in a head shot.

I find it plausible that a particularly week round could be stopped in such cases, and that a heavy jacket could significantly reduce the effectiveness of an already underpowered round. That a heavy jacket would regularly stop a properly made 25 ACP seems far fetched. Air rifles are less powerful, but can still defeat clothing and skin.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Air rifles are less powerful, but can still defeat clothing and skin.

I beg to differ that air rifles are less powerful. Some are capable of 1300 fps with a .177 round.

I agree it is plausible that a light factory load would be stopped by a thick wool coat that was loose fitting and thus dissipate the energy of the round to stop penetration.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
True story...

Friend had a gun shop and a Gansta type fired a .25 auto at the second floor (his room) bedroom window from the street level. The round went though the glass window through the screen and bounced off a small clay jar with out (very minor scratch) damaging it the round is very anemic and I do not doubt one bit that it can be stopped by a heavy coat.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
As a child I went deer hunting with Dad. He downed a deer and it was still alive, so he used a .25 auto to finish it off. Straight into the side of the deer's head from a distance of 2 inches, the first round broke the skin and bounced off the scull. It only knocked the deer out. When the deer revived, he fired another head shot. The slug stuck in the skull, and again knocked the deer unconscious but didn't kill it. So we shot it with the rifle.

Maybe a 25 auto is useful for knocking your attacker unconscious while you go get your rifle.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I have seen a crime scene where a .45 was used. The perp shot through the window at point blank range (it was on a balcony at an apartment) and the metal blinds gave enough to stop the rounds between them and the window. Not all the rounds were stoped, I think their was a total of 5-6, but it did stop 2 of them.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have seen a crime scene where a .45 was used. The perp shot through the window at point blank range (it was on a balcony at an apartment) and the metal blinds gave enough to stop the rounds between them and the window. Not all the rounds were stoped, I think their was a total of 5-6, but it did stop 2 of them.
Did you mean to say a .25 was used? If not, maybe I should upgrade from my XD 45 Compact.

:biglaugh:

·
Registered
734 Posts
Well I for one would NOT want to be the person in the coat to see if it would stop a .25 but it IS a very weak round.

when I was living down in New Orleans I knew the lady who worked at a Convienence store and it was robbed one night. The punk had already gotten the money and right before he left he shot her anyways right in the forehead. The bullet followed the curve of her skull and traveled under the skin and stopped right in the back crown of her head.

Needless to say she was very, very lucky and she quit that store and never went back again to work in it.

I used to carry a Raven .25 when I was 18 or 19 for protection. Where I was raised up at you needed it! I had a little holster for it and one day I caught a city bus and when I got off it was gone, I lost it in the seat of the bus which was just as well because it was a POS! I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it (I tried) but I didn't care. All I knew was I was COOL because I was packing! Probably good thing I lost it because I probably would have gotten in trouble with it! :rock:

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Can't remember who did test while back 25 auto went 13" and 16+" in the Jell.
Don't bet on a coat.
I was at a robbery in 70's where woman was shoot in face across counter. 45 Auto 230 ball . It broke her nose and like others followed around and came out behind ear.
Nothing works 100% all the time Murphy see to that.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I know of a fellow that was shot dead between the eyes with a 25ACP. All it did ws make a whelp and a nasty streak up his forehead. He also proceeded to beat the crap out of the guy that shot him.:eek:

·
Banned
976 Posts
I beg to differ that air rifles are less powerful. Some are capable of 1300 fps with a .177 round.

I agree it is plausible that a light factory load would be stopped by a thick wool coat that was loose fitting and thus dissipate the energy of the round to stop penetration.

Even at that FPS the 8-17 grain pellets only generate up to 30 ft lbs in most of the powerfull airguns. Out of most springers you get 12-20 ft lbs of power.

.25 cal:

http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/ballistics/results/default.aspx?type=pistol&cal=1

.177 cal requiring at FAC (requires a Firearms Certificate in England) so these are STRONG!:biglaugh:

http://www.straightshooters.com/theoben/rapidstype.html

The puny .25 cal generates a lot more ft lbs.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Wow, the .25 is pretty pathetic. If I had to carry something extremely small, I'd opt instead for something like a .22 Magnum. Here's the ballistics for it at the muzzle.

.22 Winchester Magnum, JHP 40 gr 1910 / 324

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Admittedly this is second hand but - A friend that is a retired Sheriff's Officer and his (now ex) wife both had experiences with the aftermath of shootings with a .25 auto. In both cases the person being shot ended up with the bullets just under the skin, where they had been shot. His conclusion was that a .22LR in a three inch barrel is far more effective (and that ain't saying much) than a .25 auto.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Cartridge : Various .25ACP cartridges

Firearm : Beretta 21a with 2.4" barrel length

Calibration : 9.4 ± 0.05cm and 593 ± 0.500 ft/sec impact velocity.

Shot 1 - Remington UMC 50 gr MC. Impacted at 807 ± 0.500 ft/sec and penetrated to 14.0 ± 0.031". Recovered diameter was 0.250 ± 0.0005". Track outlined in light blue.

Shot 2 - Hornady 35 gr XTP JHP. Impacted at 931 ± 0.500 ft/sec and penetrated to 6.7 ± 0.031". Recovered diameter was 0.369 ± 0.0005". Track outlined in yellow.

Cartridges : CCI Blazer and Sellier and Bellot FMJ

Firearm : Beretta 21a pistol with 2.4" barrel.

Calibration : 10.0 ± 0.05cm and 587 ± 0.500 ft/sec impact velocity.

Impact velocities were not taken of the bullets, due to the indoor lighting present at the test area. The block was calibrated 1 hour prior to the test (in the outdoors) and returned to quasi-steady thermal equilibrium in a refrigerated space prior to the firearm test event. Velocities and performance obtained should be typical of .25ACP pocket pistols.

Shot 1 - Sellier and Bellot 50 grain FMJ. Penetrated to 13.3", no expansion present. Outlined in yellow on the photo.

Shot 2 - CCI Blazer 50 grain FMJ. Penetrated to 16" and exited the back of the block. Bullet was not recovered.

from brassfetcher.com

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
A friend of mine was accidently shot in the leg once with a .25 at a party. Just below the kneecap and just outboard of the shin bone, in the meaty part. Only went in about an inch and stopped, no serious damage. The shooter did the old "clear the chamber, then drop the mag" unloading routine.

·
Banned
976 Posts
Admittedly this is second hand but - A friend that is a retired Sheriff's Officer and his (now ex) wife both had experiences with the aftermath of shootings with a .25 auto. In both cases the person being shot ended up with the bullets just under the skin, where they had been shot. His conclusion was that a .22LR in a three inch barrel is far more effective (and that ain't saying much) than a .25 auto.
Yeah. We all saw what the .22 could do in the Reagan shooting. Several people on the floor.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts