1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Picked up a 6 1/2 inch 29-2 yesterday at the LGS. It's in pretty good shape, but with a turn line, and carbon on the front cylinder and on the top strap above the barrel, its obviously been fired, so it's not going to be any safe queen.

I've wanted one of these for years and been drooling over it in the case for a couple months. I 'm a bit disappointed as I wanted a blue 'Dirty Harry' clone; but this one has a nickel finish. I guess due to the Covid situation it hung around a little longer than I've normally seen.

Also it came with no presentation case or sight adjustment tool; unfortunately even so it came at a pretty steep price. Nonetheless as something I know I'm going to enjoy owing I don't regret buying it.

Looking forward to seeing all the current mess going on end so I can get it to the range and try it out... yes, I reload and have already brewed up a BUNCH of .44 specials to use "similar to a wadcutter" as Harry himself put it in 'Magnum Force'...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Fine revolvers! I'm sure you will enjoy shooting it. You're certainly on the right track by shooting reduced loads

·
Administrator
72,478 Posts
The original script for Dirty Harry called for Detective Harry Callahan to use a 4" nickel-plated 29, but they couldn't be sourced at the time so the 6 1/2" blued ones were used instead. So you're still pretty close to it if you count the original story. And BTW the quote in Magnum Force about Dirty Harry using .44 Specials is often mis-interpreted. The script called for him to say that he made his own special lighter-bullet loads, but in the movie he condensed it to say ".44 light specials" which many people assumed he meant .44 Specials. Given the heavy recoil every time he fired it and the bad guys being sent into orbit you can bet they weren't being popped by .44 Specials. He simply was using lighter bullets which not only gave better control, but were more effective against man-sized targets than the heavy hunting loads typically available at the time.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks gentlemen! DSK, its amazing how much 'interweb' power has been burned up discussing a fictitious film topic on various firearm sites in the past, including this one! Just Google it if curious. Being gun guys and currently in a slow time I guess we can be forgiven.

I have a couple hundred factory .44 mag full loads I was given as well, but those things can be brutal at the range, especially with the original checked wooden stocks. I could see a real flinching habit coming on.

I'm still looking forward to hitting the range with both the .44 and a Universal m1 carbine I will be breaking out of gun-layaway confinement next month.

·
Administrator
72,478 Posts
Thanks gentlemen! DSK, its amazing how much 'interweb' power has been burned up discussing a fictitious film topic on various firearm sites in the past, including this one! Just Google it if curious. Being gun guys and currently in a slow time I guess we can be forgiven.
Well, Dirty Harry was hugely influential film, not just for us gun guys but for pop culture in general. You can show a picture of a blued 6 1/2" S&W 29 to virtually anybody in the world, even if they don't know about guns or even speak English, and they'll respond with "Dirty Harry! .44 Magnum! Make my day!". I'm not an avid action movie buff, and I normally don't collect mementos from films, but I bought my Model 29 specifically because it is one of the world's most iconic firearms. I have no use for it other than simply "to have". Having said that, these early ones with the pinned barrels and recessed cylinders are absolutely gorgeous pieces of machinery. If it wasn't for Dirty Harry they'd simply have been very under-rated and under-appreciated revolvers. The movies simply made more people stand up and appreciate them for what they really are.

·
Premium Member
7,357 Posts
I always thought back then, Dirty Harry carried a Python...:eek:
Oh well, i guess i can sell mine..:biglaugh:

·
Registered
381 Posts
My 29-2 specials are, 4.5 gr Bullseye, 180 gr WC, in a 44 special case. Really tears up tin cans, and pleasant to shoot. After having mine shooting loose, and being rebuilt twice, from heavy use of full power loads, 44 special loadings, are now the diet.

·
Administrator
72,478 Posts
I agree the 6 1/2" barrel gives the best balance in terms of looks and feel. I can spot one compared to a 6" from a mile away, and the latter just doesn't look right to me.

·
Administrator
72,478 Posts
Seems I read somewhere that both the 6" and 8" 629-2 were both used in filming..
6 1/2" models were used in the first film. Promotional posters sometimes showed the 8" just for effect. I noticed in the last movie (The Dead Pool) his 29 may have been a 6", which makes sense since it was filmed in 1988, long after the 6 1/2" model had been discontinued.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
My parent's marriage was a hot mess. I never knew what each day (& night) would bring.

So one night when I was six years old my dad, buzzed as usual on Ernest & Julio Gallo Hearty Burgundy came into my room & said "C'mon, Kid. Get dressed, We're going to the movies. Chop chop!" --------------- School Night be damned. I jumped at the chance before he changed his saturated mind.

So away we went in the '40 Buick to see the latest Disney pic. WRONG! It was Dirty Harry.

Holy crap, I had NO business seeing that stuff at six years old. The ski-masked villain's bulge-eyed screaming reaction to getting his leg gutted freaked me out.

Then the Harry's foot in his wound scene gave me the willies, big time. Going straight from 101 Dalmatians to Dirty Harry sure was a jolt.

It sure the heck wasn't the TV Western bang bang "ya got me, Pal" gunfights I was familiar with.

Now as an adult, I love the movie. Funny the difference a few years makes.

·
Administrator
72,478 Posts
At six years old I was watching Baa Baa Black Sheep and John Wayne war movies. No leftist Disney propaganda for me.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
dsk-------- Then you missed some good stuff!

And note that Dirty Harry--------- DEEP in the R Rated category, for both sex & violence---------- was gnarlier than John Wayne's PG type war flicks. Especially when they're edited for TV.

Wayne's Sands of Iwo Jima didn't have naked female corpses, for example. DH is on another level.

Funny that as a take-away, at the time I coveted Harry's switchblade more than his revolver. Probably because I knew my Grandad would probably soon give me his identical one. Which DID happen ------------- I still have it.

Back then I knew that gun ownership was still a LONG ways off in the hazy future. So wanting a .44 Magnum, at six!, was a pointless a fantasy as wanting Harry's job or car.

But the knife was doable. At one point as a young teen I even tried scotch-taping it to my leg. I regretted that one!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts