1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all interested,

Last year's 1st Ohio mini-bash was a really big success and the dozen+ of us had a fantastic time of shooting, friendship, and learning. This year - I am going bigger. We have a new outdoor location with (4) separate shooting areas/bays and can take advantage of multiple drills with multiple groups simultaneously. Additionally, there is a covered area to shoot from as well as an air-conditioned club house to eat and relax in if desired. Pics are coming, I just haven't had time to take any.

Being held Thursday, September 17 through and including Saturday, September 19th, 2020 (3 full days!) will be the 2nd Annual NE Ohio Mini-Bash! For the sake of mapping we will be in Austintown, OH (halfway between Cleveland and Pittsburgh). It’s the perfect time – several months after the Berryville Bash and several months before the Waxahachie Mini-Bash! You do not have to be an expert shooter or even own a Wilson 1911 to join us – bring as many or few firearms as you wish of any make or model. There will be only two rules: 1) be safe/ follow RSO instructions, and 2) have FUN and enjoying great friendship!

The days will be filled with shooting outdoors at the Austintown Police Department range which can accommodate a nice amount of people with the longest distance being around 100 yards. We will be shooting many IDPA-style drills with a big focus on defensive tactics from a few law enforcement instructors who will be present. Shooting drills will be at both IDPA cardboard targets and steel targets and we will often use a timer for light-hearted competition and fun. The use of barrels, walls, tarps, and vehicles will again compliment the drills. The only “contest” will be to challenge yourself and improve your marksmanship skills!

When I gauge the amount of folks who are interested in attending I will contact close, local hotels to see what kind of pricing I can arrange but expect around $90-$110 per night (based on last year's rates). The shooting range is close to several nice suburban areas with tons of hotels, restaurants, night life, and dining.

Tentative schedule is as follows:
- Wednesday night, Sept. 16th – Have a get-together with those arriving for Thursday’s shoot (exact location TBD)
- Thursday, Sept. 17th – Optional meet for breakfast @ Perkins which is right by the hotels. Shoot 8am to 4pm with a lunch break. Clean up afterward and meet for dinner at the Quaker Steak & Lube restaurant where they have amazing wings, burgers, beer, and the like!
- Friday, Sept. 18th – Optional meet for breakfast. Shoot from 8am to 4pm with a lunch break. Clean up afterward and meet at my residence in a nearby suburb for a cookout and great times together. I have room to accommodate everyone!
- Saturday, Sept. 19th – Optional meet for breakfast. Shoot from 8am to 4pm, with or without lunch, depending on departure schedules. End of mini-bash.

Last year was a Fri/Sat/Sun event. However, per township regulations the range cannot be operated on Sunday. To take advantage of the 3 days we need it is now Thu-Sat. Feel free to attend any or all :)

For reasons of safety and efficiency both, I believe I am going to have to again limit this NE Ohio Mini-Bash to (26) total individuals. This number may be adjusted up OR down based upon evaluation by myself/RSOs. As of now, if you are interested please send a PM to me so I can gauge interest. You may respond for yourself and a guest (i.e., “my wife and I will be attending”, “my son and I will be there”, etc.). At this juncture it will be “first come, first serve” and I do not have an “end-date” for signing up.

Because of the setup of the range, I fully intend to have an area & dedicated RSO(s) for those individuals who are less skilled/less confident shooters to gain some experience and confidence without having to wait on the more experienced shooters to take their turns. This will be invaluable for that wife, girlfriend, buddy, or whoever that wants to learn along with others who are more novice shooters, too.

Please feel free to ask any questions you would like and I will respond as soon as I can. This will be another great event for like-minded individuals to come together, re-unite with old friends, make new ones, and have a great time engaging in shooting sports and learning from one another!

·
Premium Member
5,183 Posts
You can count on the same crew from Michigan, again. Great time last year and looking forward to this year. Guess I’ll need to get going again in the reloading room.

·
Super Moderator
14,053 Posts
Obviously, I plan on being there this time as we discussed in Berryville...looking forward to it.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For those who have responded on here and in PM, you are good to go!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are some pics of the range we will be using.

Picture (1) is what I call the "main range" which is 50 yards long and wide enough to easily accommodate 8-10 shooters across;

Picture (2) is to the left of the main range and is a 100-yard shot to one of the rear ranges (Pic 6) or a walk to the rear area...but not both simultaneously...we aren't getting THAT realistic during this bash :)

Picture (3) is the clubhouse we can chill in...literally...if we need to. It has A/C :)

Picture (4) is the small 50 ft. range which is actually behind the main one. Great for small drills or a separate simultaneous training area. The vehicle will still be there for us to have fun with (along with others);

Picture (5) is the right part of the rear range which has a nice covering, if needed;

Picture (6) is the down-range of Picture (2) and also the left portion of the rear range;

As you can see, there is A LOT of space and we will be using it all...and multiple areas for some longer drills and scenarios.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,053 Posts
Looks really nice, we should have a great time!

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
Looks fantastic, I'm in along with Becky as usual. I'll ask a few if my friends if they have interest as well if that's okay

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks fantastic, I'm in along with Becky as usual. I'll ask a few if my friends if they have interest as well if that's okay
I shall advise!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tagged. I have a colleague in New Castle, PA - I'm gonna see if he's interested in this.
Easy 20 minutes for him right off of Rt 80. I go there often enough too. He/guest is welcome! As are YOU TWW!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A little over half the spots are spoken for.

Anyone else interested should let me know so I can reserve your spot(s)

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hotel Information

All, the hotel will be as follows:

Holiday Inn Express & Suites
5575 Cerni Place
Youngstown, OH 44515
(330) 505-5700

Tell them you are with the "NE Ohio Bash" and your rate will be $79/night ($91.05 after tax).

Please PM me once you have reserved and I will send you the general Bash information packet.

·
Super Moderator
14,053 Posts
All, the hotel will be as follows:

Holiday Inn Express & Suites
5575 Cerni Place
Youngstown, OH 44515
(330) 505-5700

Tell them you are with the "NE Ohio Bash" and your rate will be $79/night ($91.05 after tax).

Please PM me once you have reserved and I will send you the general Bash information packet.
On Google, they show address as 5555 Cerni Place....

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
On Google, they show address as 5555 Cerni Place....
Good catch! It is5555 Cerni Pl. However, the only things on that street are two hotels and Bob Evans so you would have found it, I have faith :)

Also, if anyone is planning to attend and has NOT YET PM'd me with the email addresses of those attending please do ASAP so I can get the itinerary out to everyone.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
14,053 Posts
The itinerary looks like a whole bunch of good time, and some seriously fun and useful shootin' for everyone attending. Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
You may want to try to reserve a day at The Training Range in Austintown, just in case it decides to rain that day.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts