1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to make another shotgun as a beater/user gun for competing.

I'm going with the 870P again.

Now, which sights do you find you have good success with in competition at 3 gun or generally fast tactical/defensive type shooting matches?

Bead only?

Ghost rear and blade front?

Or the shallow V on the barrel with the blade in front (the shotgun rifle sights)?

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
I run an 870 with the Remington rifle sighted slug barrels. It's IM choked. The sights work for me. I am sure other sights are marginally faster. I go with a FO front sight replacement.

·
Banned
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I run an 870 with the Remington rifle sighted slug barrels. It's IM choked. The sights work for me. I am sure other sights are marginally faster. I go with a FO front sight replacement.
My Alzheimers is acting up today. What do you mean by FO?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I ran a Winchester model 12 for a long time in heavy metal and changed this year to a BPS. Both had FO (fiber optic) front sights.

Mrs. Airedale has a Benelli M1 with the ghost ring set up-I don't like the sight set up. IMO there's too much stuff to look at.

3 gun shotgun shooting around here is mostly steel and clays with the occasional 30 yard or less slug stage. I don't really need shotgun sights for any of that.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
7,790 Posts
All I have is a green Fo bead up front. Never felt like I had to have more.

IPSC/3-Gun shotgunnning is all about keeping the damn thing loaded and finishing with only a round or two in the gun.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,299 Posts
I have the stock ghost ring sights on my Mossy. The front is dovetailed in, and I might like a fiberoptic front, and it would be a pretty easy swap. I've shot a match with poppers at 80 yards, and the "real" sights were certainly a comfort.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I run a Benelli M1 Super 90 with the factory ghost ring rear, post w/white dot front. Never seemed to have a problem with it. But then again, I shoot skeet with an 870 with a IC slug barrel and rifle sights on it......

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I just put a Bushnell Holosight on my 1100 (they were on sale for $139.95 at Natchez). Using some slugs I cast from a Lee mold I got a two inch three shot group at 25 yds. I am one happy camper.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Reloading time can be the difference between winning and losing.
If you miss a target, you will have to reload more.
I have a JP red dot on my open shotgun and it's great for slugs and static(non-moving) targets, but, I still can't shoot it very well at movers and ariel targets.
I run a Hi-Viz, front and rear on my limited gun, and the only thing I don't like about it is that it's a little distracting, when shooting at moving targets where you should focus on the target, not the sight.

·
Banned
2,925 Posts
+1 on the 870 with a slug barrel and FO sights. I have one by the back door!
I've been using an SX2 for years with a red FO up front and a white triangle under the rear notch. I also favor the LM (light modified) choke for most of what we do in LTD or Tactical class.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I prefer Ghost ring sights. Beads suck with slugs past 25 yards.
Pat

·
Super Moderator
7,790 Posts
Beads suck with slugs past 25 yards.
And 90% (if not more) of IPSC type shotgun is done with birdshot inside 15 yards.

Shooting slugs with a bead isnt that hard. I can hit 8 inch plates at 60-75 yards offhand 7-8 times out of 10. I am not much slower at that range than a ghost ring shooter. In close however, they are much slower.

If I was a cop and was looking for sights, I would go with ghost rings due to the different use required. But IPSC isnt the real world and it isnt tactical training.

·
Registered
381 Posts
And 90% (if not more) of IPSC type shotgun is done with birdshot inside 15 yards.

Shooting slugs with a bead isnt that hard. I can hit 8 inch plates at 60-75 yards offhand 7-8 times out of 10. I am not much slower at that range than a ghost ring shooter. In close however, they are much slower.

If I was a cop and was looking for sights, I would go with ghost rings due to the different use required. But IPSC isnt the real world and it isnt tactical training.
I guess it depends on who is setting up the match. Their has been a fair amount of slug shooting at the matches I have attended. You can hit with a bead with slugs but its far more difficult. I also don't find Ghost Rings any slower in close. We will have to agree to disagree on this one. Take care.
Pat

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm with Tom F. on this one.
Green FO bead upfront, never needed more.
I hosted a 3 gun shoot last year and I had a 50 yard slug el pres stage and the guys with beads missed a lot.
Pat

·
Super Moderator
7,790 Posts
I guess it depends on who is setting up the match. Their has been a fair amount of slug shooting at the matches I have attended.
You Alaska dudes must be hard-core. Down south in the lower 48 most matches hardly use any slugs. With slugs being a buck a shot anymore, all slug stages or lots of slug shooting are not that common anymore.

I hosted a 3 gun shoot last year and I had a 50 yard slug el pres stage and the guys with beads missed a lot.
That means they went too fast and dont often practice shooting slugs. You shoot slugs like a rifle and birdshot like a shotgun. That takes thinking and training/practice to make that change in gears.

I bet that this years SMM3G match in Mesa (one of the top 3-gun matches in the US) might have a total of 5-10 slugs out of 100-120 rounds of SG unless there is an all slug stage. I will let you know.

·
Registered
381 Posts
You Alaska dudes must be hard-core. Down south in the lower 48 most matches hardly use any slugs. With slugs being a buck a shot anymore, all slug stages or lots of slug shooting are not that common anymore.

That means they went too fast and dont often practice shooting slugs. You shoot slugs like a rifle and birdshot like a shotgun. That takes thinking and training/practice to make that change in gears.

I bet that this years SMM3G match in Mesa (one of the top 3-gun matches in the US) might have a total of 5-10 slugs out of 100-120 rounds of SG unless there is an all slug stage. I will let you know.
Actually the guys with rifle sights or ghostrings did well and those with beads did not. That shows that rifle sights and ghostrings are superior for slug shooting. Nothing less nothing more.
Pat

·
Registered
345 Posts
Mr. 355, It's been a few months back, local 3-gun match, four targets, 35 yards to 50 yards, had to be double tapped with slugs. Green Hi-viz front on 21" Ben. M-1 Super 90.
The bead gave me the speed for the close in pellet shots on the steel targets, took the time to make the slug shots, (praticed some before the match too!!!).... dropped one out of the "A"....won the shotgun class, (a rare occurrence)....but I did my home work before the match.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Mr. 355, It's been a few months back, local 3-gun match, four targets, 35 yards to 50 yards, had to be double tapped with slugs. Green Hi-viz front on 21" Ben. M-1 Super 90.
The bead gave me the speed for the close in pellet shots on the steel targets, took the time to make the slug shots, (praticed some before the match too!!!).... dropped one out of the "A"....won the shotgun class, (a rare occurrence)....but I did my home work before the match.
Congrats but you would have been faster with sights on the slug stages and perhaps won by even more.
Pat

1 - 20 of 26 Posts