1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, for some strange reason, I like 1911s AND Smith and Wesson 3" revolvers :cool:. I have met a few other strange birds like me. So how about it, anyone else out there like this combo? If you got pics, let's see em' :rock:. Bill

·
Registered
848 Posts
The 3" K's and 2 and a half inch modle 19's are the best balanced revolvers in the world, IMO. I have a 3" Model 10 made for me by the factory, when the gun was a non cataloged item, available to police depts and special military orders. I got this gun in the late 70's, Franie Longtin was the head of Smith's gunshop back then. My M-10 is HighGloss Blued, pinned barrel, with a very slick action job straight from the factory. They don't make em like that anymore, sorry to say.

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
Yep. I have about 5 1911s, and lately it's been all about the 3" smiths. I've had to get some in 2.5" because the 3" variants on the 66 and 19 are just too rare and too nosebleed expensive because of the collectibility. I find with "boot" grips instead of full length combats, I can get the same visual "balance" out of the 2.5" as combats on the 3".

Currently, I am trying to find a "beater" model 28 or 27 in 4" to cut down to 3" (S&W never made a 3" in either of those two models). Then professionally cut down the barrel and round the grip frame so I have a version of my 3" 629-1 in blue and in .357.

Cigardad's 3" 66 up there with those rosewood (Ahrend's?) grips is awfully sweet.

Here's my favorite two smith revolvers.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a S&W Model 60 357 5-shot J-frame with a 3" barrel. If you hold it up to a 1911 Commander length pistol, the cylinder+barrel of the revolver closely matches the barrel length of the auto. Many feel that the Commander length 1911 is the best pointing size.

I also have a S&W Model 686 357 6-shot L-Frame with a 4" (service length) barrel. That one closely matches a service length 1911 Government model. It is a nice gun for full house 357 loads.

The 686 is "full size" whereas the M60 is like a perfect 3/4 scale version, good for teaching a female or beginner to shoot.

PS: if you like shooting 357 Mag, consider buying a Marlin 1894C lever action rifle in 357 Mag. They make it in 44 Mag too. Very fun to shoot. You squeeze more power and accuracy out of the 357 round when shot from a rifle. My indoor range allows 357 Mag or 44 Mag rifles.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have grown into Colt semiauto's
and Smith and wesson revolvers.
I have a couple of colt revolvers, But I feel that Smith makes a better one, JUST like COLT makes a better semiauto.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Yeah, I like my 1911, and WIld RIce - My 4" Bbbl. 686P when
you line them up - close O.A.L. and nearly identical
weight. My 60-15 3" Bbl. Len. .357 Magnum is fed
Speer GD HP 125 gr. I think a Mod. 66 with a 3" or
2.5 " Bbl. would be a nice addition

Of course I have the dark side, 625 .45 ACP/.45 AUto
RIm, and the K-frame 617 6" Bbl. 10 shooter. Perhaps a
Lew Horton isn't far from the top of my I WANT One list.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
No, you're not strange-anyone that DOESN'T like that combo is. I carried a S&W M10 3" HB, "neutered" (LAPD slang for converted to DA only) as my off-duty revolver for years. Also had a 3" SB M60. The Heavy Barrel J-frame versions are superb carry guns. As far as 1911s...I only own 7 or so. There will be more...
Bob

·
Registered
881 Posts
I am not a traditionalist by any means. I previously had a 3" Model 65 and traded it off for something else. I missed my 3" revolver but then ran across this 3" Ruger GP-100.

I have several 1911's but my favorite and main CCW is my 4" Stainless Wilson Combat Professional.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Ha, thought it was just me! I run with a Kimber Warrior or CDPII 4 in and a 2 in Model 60 SW .357

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
After almost 20yrs without a revolver I got the bug after buying the wife a 32 H&R Magnum. I bought a S&W Model 60-15 Halo 3" to go with my 5 1911's. Anyone know where I can get a reasonably priced paddle holster for my new aquisition?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
tipoc, Those are some cool heaters. I especially like what is peeking out of the IWB holster:rock:......yf

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
It's not just you, Bill! ;)

Model 24-3 3" Lew Horton Special .44 Special

1 - 20 of 20 Posts