1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine who is a sheriff gave me some ammo .45 acp .38 and 30-06 from the dept cage that was going to be destroyed.

This 30-06 ammo is something I have never seen before, Its a lead round and the stamping on it are F A 34 and some of the others are stamped F A 28 and F A 35.

Does anyone know who made this ammo and what do these stampings mean??

Thanks as always...

·
Registered
162 Posts
FA is Frankford Arsenal. The number is the year - 1935. These were originally military cartridges. If the bullets are not jacketed, they are probably reloads that I would never consider shooting.
JT

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I concur with Jacobtowne on this. As for as I know FA ammo was never made with straight lead bullets. I could be mistaken, but since FA was a government plant and the military does not use non-jacketed bullets leafs me to also think hey are reloads. I would not shoot it at all.

Stacey

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys,

I had no plans on shooting it, once I saw it I said to myself "what in the hell is that" LOL..I did get some tracer rounds and some m2 ball also :rock:

·
Administrator
13,303 Posts
Check the headstamps on the 30-06 and 45 acp . If they're dated before 1953 , it's going to most likely be corrosive primed . Nasty stuff .

Like you said , it's not worth the risk shooting ammo of unknown origins .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts