1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much does it generally cost to get a frontsrap checkered 30 LPI? Any recomendations as to who does good and respectively quick checkering work? What is a good turnaround time to have this work performed? Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Typically, it can run upwards of $150... It really depends on whether you are getting machine, or hand checkering...

Pete Single is one of the recognized leaders in checkering work, although if you want machine checkering, I think you need to look elsewhere.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Check out Ned Christiansen's work at http://www.m-guns.com/

I'm going to have him do some work on my Kimbers. At first I was going to send my guns to Kimber for checkering and an Ed Brown grip safety, but changed my mind after inspecting some of their checkering on the CDP series guns.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Check out Bob Miller of "Action Sports of Texas". He is a factory certified armorer

He charges around $180.00 for hand cut very nice 30LPI checkering on the 1911.

12005 W. County Rd. 56
Midland, Texas 79707
(915)-563-GUNS

------------------
"KNEES IN THE BREEZE"

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
There are some options you may want to consider,
do you want it cut up square at the top? leave the factory radius or round at the top of the front strap. (colt for instance on older guns has a very large fillet at the top)

do you want the lines to come off the bottom?
or stop short of the well (nice option on a cary gun for inside a jacket) Some guns get very thin with a factory funnel job.

to stop short of the bottom you will need machine cut. Off the bottom can be done by hand or machine.
geo ><>

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Just to give a little perspective on the subject.I undercut the triggerguard and 1/8" radiused into the frontstrap,had the 3square file and borrowed the 20lpi layout file (about $45 for both files-not including the files to undercat and radius).About 18 hours later I was done-BUT-this was my first one and on a Springfield's idea of a frontstrap cut.Figure the hours even at 10 including the cost of setup and machinery and skill to do it,or the greater skill to handcut flawless lines,and you will soon see that a talented gunsmith doesn't make squat per hour.It's a labor of love and pride.Heinie says a proper trigger job can take 5hrs.I've spent that fitting all new parts getting to the job I wanted and would stand behind.And what would he charge?The going price is $100 +/- plus parts.These guys make piss poor labor rates for love and pride.My hat is off to all of you!If I couldn't do it myself(for love of course)I'd give 2-250 without a blink to have my baby done.Pick anyone mentioned here plus others,handcut is generally more,but they will do an excellent job of tedious work for a price you wouldn't think twice about if you did it yourself.I still haven't figured out the reasoning,but for some dumba$$ reason I enjoy it along with triggerjobs.And the real pisser is I do my friend's pieces for next to nothing!Good luck with your decision.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts