1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I joined the bandwagon, still deciding on glass and such but I have a rifle now. I'm trying to find a place I can head to head the combo vs my TRG42 that actually provides enough distance to discern a difference between them.

https://www.bergara.online/us/rifles/premier/ridgeback-rifle/

I'm thinking nightforce for glass this time around, not sure what else to get for it but likely a suppressor since the recoil is lower than .338 so a brake won't be needed I think

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Looks nice. I have a friend who shoots PRC, he likes it. He does those competitions and put on a Nightfor$e. Exciting cartridge.

What you gonna shoot with it?

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks nice. I have a friend who shoots PRC, he likes it. He does those competitions and put on a Nightfor$e. Exciting cartridge.

What you gonna shoot with it?
I plan for right now to just work my way into longer distance, I've not competed in that area for a long time and my dad is the one who specializes in that game anyway

So basically a really powerful long range plinking tool

·
Super Moderator
7,595 Posts
It is pretty much nothing more than a 300 Win Mag, just spelled different.

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is pretty much nothing more than a 300 Win Mag, just spelled different.
It has way more super sonic range and BC, does everything better by the numbers and since I didn't own a .300 at all I opted for the current leader.

The win mag can't use the same bullets the PRC can, that's why it was replaced by it for MIL/LE users.

·
Super Moderator
7,595 Posts
It has way more super sonic range and BC, does everything better by the numbers and since I didn't own a .300 at all I opted for the current leader.

The win mag can't use the same bullets the PRC can, that's why it was replaced by it for MIL/LE users.
You 100% sure about all that?

Military **and** LE?

If you just wanted a 30 caliber thumper you should have bought the 300 Norma or 30/338 Lapua.

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

You 100% sure about all that?

Military **and** LE?

If you just wanted a 30 caliber thumper you should have bought the 300 Norma or 30/338 Lapua.
Yeah I am, it's totally replaced the .300 win mag since it does everything better. It's just newer is all really......

https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/300-prc/

My thumper is a .338 and .50, this is my step above 6.5 creed rifle

·
Super Moderator
7,595 Posts

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I am, it's totally replaced the .300 win mag since it does everything better. It's just newer is all really......

https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/300-prc/

My thumper is a .338 and .50, this is my step above 6.5 creed rifle
So your saying the military has abandoned the 300 Win Mag and are now using the PRC?
That's correct, proof research is making the first run of guns for SOCOM. The mil wanted to replace both .338 and .300 win with one caliber and leave anti material to the .50 bmg instead of having overlap with .338 for no reason.

Least that's what some insiders have told me, I was surprised that they are replacing .338 with it myself but it make sense since within 2000 yards they are neck and neck since PRC loses less energy and is more stable due to BC even with the weight disadvantage. Past 2000 the .338 is still king

·
Premium Member
801 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,595 Posts
That's correct, proof research is making the first run of guns for SOCOM.
I havent seen a single PRC in any SOCOM arms rooms lately.

But who knows that happens in the dark corners of Bragg.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
The Army has decided to go to a .338 for its Machine Gun for the Infantry and combat units.

Days of the entire Army issuing the same weapons to support Soldiers and Combat Soldiers are ending. Infantry units (and other combat arms) will begin to be issued special weapons, body armor, nvg and other equipment. It is partly for cost saving, but also so that the Infantryman can procure the best avaliable stuff quickly, being tied to “GI” equipment was stupid and slow to change as requirements and technology changes. (M16 - 5.56 perfect example)

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Optics are a MK5 HD

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Optics are a MK5 HD
I opted for a Vortex Razor AMG for mine. Waiting on the mount as we speak. Once I get it together I will post a pic. I got mine in 6.5 CM. What really intrigued me about the Ridgeback was not just the premier action but the Graboe Ridgeback stock. I did not realize until I started researching it but Graboe is actually founded and owned by Ryan McMillan Who's the son of the famed McMillan family. Graboe was actually located for a short time at the McMillan facility in AZ.

Post a pic of yours when its together. The MK 5 HD is a heck of a scope too.

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm still waiting on the mount, I ordered a one piece unit that is custom made. I'll have them up as soon as the gun is totally ready, I have already added and adjusted a few things on it

1 - 20 of 21 Posts