1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my Les Baer 1911 hit the 33,000 round milestone. Which got me thinking about just how much weight that would be. 33,000 rounds X 230 grains / 7,000 grains per pound = about 1,084 total pounds of projectiles fired through this gun. Pretty neat!

And a pic of the machine that feeds the Baer...

And here's the youtube video of a local "outlaw" match I shot my Baer in.

Stay tuned for the upcoming 35k detail strip, clean, and write-up! :rock:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Nice- do you have a list of parts you've had to replace due to wear?
Would be useful for others to stock up or watch closely :)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice- do you have a list of parts you've had to replace due to wear?
Would be useful for others to stock up or watch closely :)
The barrel broke at 30k (there was a thread here back when it happened in like May of this year). Other than that, it's just been occasionally breaking a mainspring housing pin (doesn't cause problems, just comes out in 2 pieces when I have done some of my detail strips). I also replace the recoil spring every 5k and firing pin spring every 10k, just preventatively, I wasn't having any issues ever.

I'm not the best person to tell you, but in my opinion, it's a good idea to have a spare extractor, recoil springs, firing pin springs, and mainspring housing pins laying around. Although I haven't actually broken an extractor yet.

·
Registered
669 Posts
That Bear looks like something out of WWII. I love it. Makes me appreciate my Les Baer PII! And the blue walls for the Dillon - nice touch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
148 Posts
OP, that gun is just plain wore out. You prolly need to send it to me so I can “dispose” of it properly. I’m pretty certain it will not work much longer. :)

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
I can't wait to see the inside!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
a loaded 45 cartridge weighs about an ounce. You add a half pound of weight with a full 8 round mag, and you're holding it extended. That means you've weight lifted a little over a ton. That's a cool way to think about it.

the way that sucks to think about is that it costs probably a dime each time you pull the trigger. Keeping brass and casting lead it's what, 3 cents for the primer, 2 for the powder, 5 for lead?

so at a dime each you're at $3,300 and climbing turned into smoke, noise, and holes in paper. Makes the gun seem cheap by comparison

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Very cool. I probably have 20,000+ rounds through my DW 1911 and never thought about the mass of lead that has left the barrel lol. Cool to think about.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
a loaded 45 cartridge weighs about an ounce. You add a half pound of weight with a full 8 round mag, and you're holding it extended. That means you've weight lifted a little over a ton. That's a cool way to think about it.

the way that sucks to think about is that it costs probably a dime each time you pull the trigger. Keeping brass and casting lead it's what, 3 cents for the primer, 2 for the powder, 5 for lead?

so at a dime each you're at $3,300 and climbing turned into smoke, noise, and holes in paper. Makes the gun seem cheap by comparison
That is cool! My reloads cost me about $0.15/round since I don’t cast my own. Which is a lot of money, but worth it (to me at least) for all the enjoyment I’ve gotten out of working to get better.

Thanks for the kind words guys :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts