1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a used Ruger sp101 .357 magnum with a 3" barrel that was modified by Weigand Combat...hybraport barrel, bead blasted finish, bobbed hammer, polished trigger, action job. :rock:
I've been looking into what type of ammo to load it with. I typically like heavier ammo. My wife needs to be able to handle it as there is a good chance it will spend a fair amount of time in a GunVault on our kitchen counter.
I've been looking into various 357 loads from Winchester, Corbon, Speer, Hornady, and Federal. I've seen a lot of people comment on how they like the 125gr .357 mag ammo. Looking at ballistics, they seem comparable to .38 spl +p.
The concern with heavier ammo is that you wonder if it will expand well out of a 3" ported barrel. I understand that the hybraport system isn't supposed to take away that much velocity.
Anybody ever tested their hybraported guns to see if ammo is expanding like it is supposed to? Will these guns tame a hot load?
I'm looking forward to getting the gun. It should be getting shipped to me soon. I'll try to post some pics.

·
Registered
354 Posts
The "Golden Standard" for stopping power in LE circles has always been the 125grn .357 Magnum doing 1450fps out of a 4" barrel, for 505 ft/lbs of energy. That's quite a bit more than any .38 Spl +P, although you'll lose some velocity with that barrel.

I've always used 125grn loads in my .357's, first Cor-Bon and now Speer Gold Dots. I switched from a 2.5" Python to a 3" S&W Model 13 years ago, and I use those Gold Dots. I can control that load easily and it has a proven track record on the street.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I routinely shoot 158gr Double Tap and Buffalo Bore .357 factory JHP in my 2 1/4" and 3 1/16" barrel Hybra-Ported SP101s. Marc Morganti (personal communication) says velocity loss is not more than 3% beyond non-ported. I have not checked this, nor have I chronographed any of these guns/loads, and I've certainly never tested expansion. They are much more comfortable to shoot with compared to without porting, however.

·
Registered
662 Posts
As mentioned by another, I carry doubletap 125JHP for street and 158JHP or 180 hard cast in the mountains. Their stuff is "sobering". I can't imagine someone getting hit with any of those and getting up. Their 125JHP is a real speed deamon. On their site it says that they use flash suppresent powder, that may be so but I see some pretty solid muzle flash out of my 3" SP101 with 125grns. The 158 and 180grn seem to have no flash though. I use thier .357SIG and .45 too. Great stuff, really accurate. Bufbore makes some pretty quick loads too, theck them out. I would love to see some pics of your SP101 that has had some work done on it. Pictures!:cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts