1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have some time to talk about the 357 sig cartridge. Was it developed by Sig Sauer? What were they trying to accomplish with this cartridge? What are it's applications, it's advantages and disadvantages? Thanks.

·
Registered
15,317 Posts
Don't know who.
Know it was intended for equaling the 125g 357 Magnum load from a self-loading easier-firing semi-automatic.

Excellent L.E. cartridge; probably good for civilian defense, too.

Speer 125g Gold Dot @ 14xxfps (based on gun).

------------------
"all my ammo is factory ammo"

·
Registered
207 Posts
A disadvatage is it's lack of availability in many areas. I know for sure that walmart doesn't carry this in my area, and it is quite costly compared to other rounds.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Acording to Sig, they made it (hence the 357sig name).

The goal as Weshoot2 said was to duplicate the 357 mag 125 grn jhp in an autoloader.

My 229sport proves that they easily did it. Great round in a great gun. Very accurate and easy to control.

Here in Texas the 357sig is very common and easy to find ammo, but since I reload it does not matter. If you are a reloader, over on Glocktalk or the firing line there are many threads about it. Just keep in mind you are reloading for rifle and not pistol and everything works out quite well. I use starline brass, and AA9 exclusively and have had excellent results.

Main disadvantage is the lubing of the case for reloading.

------------------
10mm and 357 Sig; the best things since the 38 Super!

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
I've got a Glock 32 in .357sig. I love it! FRom what I gather, Sig Sauer was the company that agreed to actually commercially produce a pistol for that cartridge, but they probably designed the cartridge as well. I have to say it's a great cartridge! I would much rather have it over a 9mm or .40s&w.

------------------
"Double-action in an auto pistol seems to me an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem." -Jeff Cooper G&A mag Oct. 1973

·
Registered
118 Posts
I love to talk about the 357 SIG

I have a Glock 32 among others, and I love this gun. It is by far the best Glock I have owned, and I ahve had my share.

It is EXTREMELY accurate. No one knows why, but this round is an inherent tackdriver. My Glock 32 rivals any gun I have ever shot in accuracy, including $3000 custom 1911's etc.
Reliability is superb. Texas DPS fired something like 500,000 rounds of 357 SIG without one single failure of any kind. That is reliable!
It is extremely consistent. Spreads of only a few fps are common in chrono tests.
Power is impressive. I don't have much to offer execpt shooting water jugs, but this puppy blasts those jugs impressivly. I have not gotten a coyote yet with my 357 SIG, but I am sure it works as well on creatures as it dies on water jugs.
Texas DPS said that the 357 SIG was the only round they tested that knocked the gel block off the table. It hits hard.
So far shootings on people and dogs have had predictable results. It appears that the round may live up to its hopes.

I reload for it. The only challenge is getting the right bullet/crimp combo, which is easy because people like me and other have figured it out already. Just ask and we will tell you how.

I get one more round in my Glock full-cap mags so I get 14+1 rounds in my gun, just one less than a 9mm.

It is NOT a flashy round like some say, but it is loud.

What else do you want to know?

·
Registered
259 Posts
From what I have read on the cartridge, it was a developmental joint venture between Federal and Sig.

I agree with everyone's statements so far about being accurate. I am no great shot, but I can usually manage 2" groups at 25 yards with my stock Sig and stock sights.

Yes, lubing the cases when reloading is a pain, but I just throw the loaded rounds in the tumbler when they come off the Dillon 550. With AA #9 powder and 125 grain bullets, I get single digit standard deviations clip full after clip full. This is an awesome round.

I am going to disagree with Thaddeus though. With reloads made with AA #9, I can see fireballs at the muzzle (from the shooting postition) in broad daylight. I know you are not supposed to, but when shooting through barricades/windows during a match, I stick the muzzle all the way through. If I don't the muzzle blast rocks my world!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts