1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had one pistol in 357 Sig that I sold recently, it took me a long time to sell it. It was a lot of fun to shoot, but ammo was expensive and hard to find. I only ever found it at two or three local stores. I figured it wasn’t doing anything for me that I couldn’t cover with 9mm, 10mm, 45ACP or 357 Magnum (the only handgun calibers I have now).

Now this report that the Texas Department of Public Safety is switching to 9mm from 357 Sig. The article points out that Federal Air Marshals and the US Secret Service still use the 357 Sig.

Is it a dying round? Would anybody notice or care?

http://www.gunnuts.net/2013/12/26/last-one-out-turn-the-lights-off/

·
Registered
773 Posts
It's not exactly dead, but it's headed that way. The scrap heap of dead hot 9mm auto cartridges is a big one, and one more on the pile will hardly make a difference.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Well, it's not the only thing going obsolete, if indeed it is.

In all of this time, I have never seen or held one pistol or one cartridge in .45 GAP.

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
Luv my G32!

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
When you consider that there is 9mm ammo out there that comes with 100-200fps of what 357sig can do, it kind of makes the effort (expensive, not common ammo, more complex reloading) not really worth it. I doubt it will die out, but it will definitely not become a mainstream caliber. Not with what 9mm can do today.

·
Registered
74 Posts
A lot of cops and Feds like it so I guess if the ammo is being purchased by the taxpayers .357 Sig is the way to go. Not so much for anyone else. Too expensive and hard to find.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
It's not exactly dead, but it's headed that way. The scrap heap of dead hot 9mm auto cartridges is a big one, and one more on the pile will hardly make a difference.
Actually, it is doing as good as it ever did. It is in use by many LEO and Federal agencies. I could get .357 SIG ammo in the middle of the panic ammo crunch when 9mm was not to be had.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
When you consider that there is 9mm ammo out there that comes with 100-200fps of what 357sig can do, it kind of makes the effort (expensive, not common ammo, more complex reloading) not really worth it. I doubt it will die out, but it will definitely not become a mainstream caliber. Not with what 9mm can do today.
This is total mythology. Average .357 SIG is 200fps beyond any +P 9mm.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
I still carry and shoot it on a regular basis. As BlueBronco said, it could and can be found, you just have to look for it.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I hope not - I'd very much like to try it, and the ability to switch to 40 or 9 is a perk.

I'd love a compact auto that has the thump of my SP101 (i.e. M&P 357c)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Actually, it is doing as good as it ever did. It is in use by many LEO and Federal agencies. I could get .357 SIG ammo in the middle of the panic ammo crunch when 9mm was not to be had.
The reason it was still on the shelves had everything to do with it's unpopularity. The reason there was no 9mm ammo on the shelves at the same had everything to do with it's popularity. Being able to find .357 SIG ammo on the shelves when everything else was gone is proof that no one was buying it, much less shooting it, in the civilian market. The .357 Sig was introduced to give the fire power of the .357 mag in a autoloader, thus giving faster reloads and more capacity. The reason many agencies didn't jump on the bandwagon was it's similarity to the round it meant to replace. More flash, more noise and more recoil than many of the other options available. Outside of law enforcement there was very little acceptance in the civilian market because those that needed .357 mag firepower did not need fast reloads or high capacity.....and .357 ammo was cheaper and more readily available in a wider variety of loadings. It is a viable round tho, and it has a loyal following, much like .41 mag and .327 mag. Like them, it will probably never die till those that own the firearms that shoot them do.

·
Premium Member
14,684 Posts
interesting observation, Buck

what WAS the purpose/intend of the rnd?
40 already filled the niche from 9 to 45

what's the supposed benefit of the 357Sig?
It doesn't make 357mag standards and is it any better than 40??

asking, cause i don't know, and have never shot one

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
By this website the .357 sig is similar to the .357 mag. It seems hotter than the 9mm, .40 S&W or .45 ACP.

http://www.ballistics101.com

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
I'd like to have a 1911 in .357 Sig.
It would be interesting. But you'd lose mag capacity over the 38 Super or the 9x23 Win. I'm not sure what would be gained aside from fun.

tipoc

1 - 20 of 104 Posts