1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any gunsmiths out there, or does anybody know of one, that has a chambering reamer in .38-45. I've found myself with an insatiable bug to play with this wildcat and I want to have a .38 Super barrel reamed.

·
Registered
239 Posts
38/45 Clerke or 38/45 JWH?

Both have very similar characteristics and are basically what the .357 Sig is to the .40S&W

It can be done but you're in for a lot of development and fine tuning of both the gun and your loads. In theory they have some great characteristics but in practice they're more trouble than they're worth. There's a reason these rounds haven't gone mainstream.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why not 38cassull?
More pressure than I'm looking for. Just want a drop in barrel so I can play around a little bit with a wildcat. Not looking for anything extreme.

38/45 Clerke or 38/45 JWH?
I assumed 38/45 Clerke. Not familiar with the 38/45 JWH. If dies are available and it probably wouldn't matter. Figured I'd get the hard part out of the way (the barrel) then take a deep breath and shell out for some RCBS dies.
Yeah, I've read about all the troubles, but getting it to work, that's where the satisfaction is at, right? :)

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
Yeah, I've read about all the troubles, but getting it to work, that's where the satisfaction is at, right? :)
I would bet most of the guys in Reloading Bench will be right there beside you.
38 caliber from a standard 45acp case. Standard magazines. Easy to form brass. 357 bullets.
Sounds like fun!!!

One kinda figures you'll have to get one from PTG or Clymer.
It would be extremely doubtful that a local gunsmith somewhere
has one to share, they've probably never seen one in their lives.

For the cost of a reamer, I say go for it!!!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Just a reamer?

I am a loooong way from a pistolsmith, but isn't the barrel hood on a 38 Super different from that on a 45? You need a 45 breech face and that means a 45 slide and that means a 38 Super or 9mm barrel won't fit. If I am wrong, someone please jump in.

·
Registered
214 Posts
navman

Understand. You need a 45 slide to have a 45 breech face. The 38 Super barrel hood does not fit a 45 slide. So you need a custom made barrel with a 45 sized barrel hood and a 9mm/.38 size hole in it. Or you can weld up the hood on a 9mm/.38 barrel and recut it. But you cannot just ream out a 9mm/.38 barrel because it won't fit the 45 slide.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.