1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be collecting parts for my 38 Super Build.

Here's my list.

1) Kart 38 Super Barrel (Wilson Ramp)

2) Caspian 9mm Slide

3) Wilson 9mm / 38 Super Extractor

4) EGW Extended Ejector

5) Wilson Bulletproof 9mm / 38 Super Slide Stop

6) EGW Angle Bore Bushing

What do you think? All of this is going on a stripped forged slide with Wilson / Brown internals.

Thanks

Paul

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
.38 super build

Sounds like all good parts! I like the stainless Chip McCormick 10 round
mags. I also like a beavertail grip safety on the frame to allow the grip to be held higher (closer to the bore line) so it helps to control recoil better.

Another nice, but extravagant touch, is to buy a full mag well that has to be silver soldered to the frame. The frame has to be cut also. Guncraft, out of Ruskin, Fl, sells them if you go for this extra touch. It really does help to make faster reloads.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
1) Kart 38 Super Barrel (Wilson Ramp)
Excellent choice. Some will tell you that Kart is the best value in the match barrel market and I am inclined to agree.

2) Caspian 9mm Slide
Again a very good part. If I were building a custom gun from ground up it would be with a Les Baer or RRA slide and frame. Pricey but worth it in the long run. I have a 9MM built on a Caspian slide and frame and it is excellent.

3) Wilson 9mm / 38 Super Extractor
I am partial to EGW and Ed Brown (hardcore) small parts.

4) EGW Extended Ejector
I am not so sure that an extended ejector is necessary but it is a quality part.

5) Wilson Bulletproof 9mm / 38 Super Slide Stop
The Greider slide stop is the equal of the Wilson at half the price.

6) EGW Angle Bore Bushing
Again a good choice.

What do you think? All of this is going on a stripped forged slide with Wilson / Brown internals.
Do you mean a stripped forged frame? I have heard good things about the frames that Wilson are currently producing, but IMHO there are better alternatives than Wilson when it comes to small parts. That isn't to say that they are bad just that the value to cost ratio is higher with other suppliers. YMMV.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. Yes it was a typo:eek: I have a stripped forged frame awaiting everything else.

I will take a look at Ed Brown and Greider parts catalog.

Paul

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Thanks for the info. Yes it was a typo:eek: I have a stripped forged frame awaiting everything else.

I will take a look at Ed Brown and Greider parts catalog.

Paul
Greider doesn't have a parts catalog. Much like Fred Kart he still does business the old school way. No catalog, no fancy website. If you want one you have to order through Brownells (if they still carry them) or through him directly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts